Disk manager in Win7 - welcome feedback

Reaction score
Has anyone had some personal experience with the disk manager in Win7? Specifically in terms of resizing partitions? I need to resize my OS partition.

For the longest time, I have been using Partition Magic, but at this point, I'm not sure I need to install it. I'm willing to give the built-in disk manager a try. I would welcome some feedback those who have used it.

Edit:
It occurred to me I should add some more details. Currently Win7 is installed on a 500 GB HDD which is partitioned into 3. C: D: & E: respectively. The 2nd partition (D) is where I have all my video games installed and I have approximately 10 GB free. I am thinking that I can shrink D so that I can extend the OS (C) partition.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have used the Disk Management to resize partitions. It worked actually really good.

A LOT depends on where the files/folders are located on the partitions though, if they're at the beginning I don't believe it will work. At least that's the way I remember it.

You might try Partition Wizard instead, it's free and has a bootable linux live CD image you can burn and work the partitions that way.

Reaction score
It's my understanding that Disk Manager doesn't Move the partition but instead shrinks or stretches the end of the partition. Therefore this would not allowing you to extend your first partition unless you removed the second partition.

I agree with Nibs that with this task, a third party utility would be much easier to work with.

+1 for Partition Wizard
Partition Wizard Home will allow for you to make all your changes before applying them to disk. I have not had any troubles with Partition Wizard

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation on Partition Wizard. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Earlier today I ran into this Easeus utility that claims to work on Windows 7. Out of curiosity, has anyone tried it?

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation on Partition Wizard. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Earlier today I ran into this Easeus utility that claims to work on Windows 7. Out of curiosity, has anyone tried it?
Yes I have.

Another vote for Partition Wizard. Nuff said!

(To each their own but I found PW easier to work with)

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Yes, I've used it for a long time. I've been lucky enough to use the pro editions over the last couple of years through various give-aways on the web. It's the only thing I use from within the OS. If you want to shrink the C partition from within the OS with Easeus You would go through the graphic interface to set your desired sizes. It then needs to reboot to carry out the command. It could take a while depending on how much data it has to move. Most work on drives/partitions other than C will not need a re-boot. Having said that, it has never screwed up for me I've not lost any data ever.

If you want to re-size with a boot disk then I agree with Nibs and Clifford, Partition Wizard works well. G-Parted boot disk works well to.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Partition Magic won't even install in W7. W7 partition manager has a lot of limitations if there is data on the drives. It can only extend a partition if the freespace is immediately to the right of the area you wish to extend. And it can not move empty partitions next to where you need them so that they are adjoining.

I use Easeus Partition Master Professional and it will accept space before or after and also allow me to move a partition.

Ask a Question