device/printers icons

Reaction score
When I open the device/printers tab from the start menu it shows all my devices currently connected to my PC...so far so good. My problem is that my printer icon for my installed printer, HP all-in-one Office-jet 5610v and is all updated, shows the icon for printer the doesn't remotely come close to what my printer looks like. I have found this article from MS that supposedly has a fix for this. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2403006

I've run this fix and it says that the fix has been applied but when I check the device/printer tab is shows the icon properly for about 1 sec and then goes back to the original non-conforming icon.

This problem occurs on all my PC's across my home network. Same result when trying to apply fix on all PC's.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you go to windows explorer and paste
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Device Metadata\dmrccache\en-us
into the path bar. Then under some of the GUID folders there you will find a DeviceInformation subfolder with a .ico file in it. If the .ico is there that you see as your printer then you should be able to replace it. However if there is NO .ico for your device/printer then it should be using the default icons stored in %SystemRoot%\system32\DDORes.DLL and to change it there you would need a resource editor (if you try something like resource hacker on the DLL then always back up the original DLL first).

Another thought: According to Brink on his forum the meta data for devices (including the icon) may download automatically if you enable automatic updates and have it set to treat Recommended updates the same as Critical. Personally I discourage this setting as it also may download drivers that are sometimes not correct so maybe you have it turned off too. If so then maybe you should manually go out to windows updates and download any recommended updates waiting that apply to printers.

More

Last edited:

Ask a Question