SOLVED CRT High Pitch Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I believe that wire is for the radiation part. Without it, it would just be anti-glare.

At least that's what I'm getting from these 2 responses I mentioned earlier:

"There's a marked difference with the strain on my eyes from the very first use. While I know I shouldn't use the computer as long as I do, this helps me keep the headaches at bay for a longer time. My only concern with this product is the grounding cord. It's a removable plug, that when removed permanently disables the purpose of the entire unit, rendering it useless. Not only does my 2yo have easy access to pulling on it, but if in an office situation a mover is packing it they may be tempted to remove the cord because it protudes. A simple "do not remove" sign might help, but it still would be nice of 3M could find a way to make it a permanent attachment. "

And:

"I really like this product (beige 17"-19" anti-glare/anti-radiation filter, Fellowes part-number #856274) especially at the discount prices, and I now own 2 of them (exact same model), for dual monitors. I like the anti-radiation feature (although you have to remember to attach the ground-wire to an actual ground for it to work; also see "NOTE" about CRT's below). The first one of these Fellowes filters I bought on sale at a local Staples before they discontinued them in spring 2006, the second one I bought here at Amazon (Dealz4Real).

The filter's glass is not too dark (unlike a different brand that I'd owned previously), and it doesn't interfere with image quality or colors at all, but it cuts any glare and prevents eyestrain even when using the computer for hours on end each day.

I also like that this particular model of Fellowes anti-glare filter is available with a beige frame, instead of the all-pervasive black frames that are everywhere nowadays.

I'm very happy with this product.

NOTE: The anti-radiation-filter thing is useful for CRT monitors, while the anti-glare could be useful for both CRT and LCD monitors (I don't think LCD monitors have any radiation concerns in the first place, other than the flourescent backlight which some people might be sensitive to)."

So trainable man, you're saying to route this wire (that's connected to the small one from the filter) to the screw holding the plate of an electrical outlet? What would that do? The nail doesn't do anything but just hold the plate on. I'd have much rather dealt with just plugging in another cord for this as opposed to what I think you're talking about. I mean god, this is just supposed to block glare and radiation right? Why the wiring? Don't certain sunglasses block radiation from their dim nature and material? Not to mention the sun gives more radiation. I'm really dissapointment from what I'm reading.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The anti-radiation-filter thing is useful for CRT monitors
I don't buy this. I think the anti-radiation filter thing is useful ONLY to the scam artist selling it, and that's it.

If CRTs were emitting harmful radiation, we all would be glowing by now, at least any of us who up grew in homes with CRT TVs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't buy this. I think the anti-radiation filter thing is useful ONLY for the scam artist selling it, and that's it.

If CRTs were emitting harmful radiation, we all would be glowing by now, at least any of us who grew in homes with CRT TVs.

You and me both mate. Especially all the yrs I spent in the industry and we replaced our IBM golfballs with actual monitors.
LCD screens are sure easier on the eyes after a CRT, I often got eye strain from the old style monitors.
I do recall buying a tinted glass screen cover for my old monitor way back when. It was framed thickish tinted glass that hung with a hook in front of the screen. It had a small wire with an aligator clip that the instructions said to clip to a metal part of the monitor or if you had a desktop case then to the case.
I'll never know if the electromagnetic grounding did anything but the tinted screen did reduce eye strain.

Now if they could just make coloured electronic ink as they use for the Kindles and make monitors with them that'd be great although maybe they could not handle the refresh rate needed for a PC application. Still, I'm sure technology will get there.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Do you mean it wouldn't do anything, in that the radiation it would block (the very little amount) wouldn't make much of a difference in the end, or that it doesn't even block this trivial radiation?

It may not seem important to you but it does to me. Like I said, 6+ hours each and every day for an entire semester sitting rather close to the monitor to see what's on my screen, not to mention as earlier stated in this topic this CRT monitor's pretty used and seems to be falling apart (at least the transformer, or whatever that's failing is causing it to emit a high-pitched noise whenever there's a white-ish screen showing) and if anything this probably makes it less safer to use than before.
Would you quit worrying about this! You're making a mountain out of a molehill. You get more radiation from a visit to the dentist's office when they do tooth X-Rays or sunning yourself for several hours.

If CRT's were so dangerous they would have been banned decades ago.

If you're so concerned then get an LCD and end your worries.

Reaction score
Read this article!!

Can A Computer Screen Damage My Eye?

While computers have no known harmful effects on eyesight, computer users do often complain of eye related symptoms such as eyestrain, headaches, fatigue, dry eyes, and difficulty focusing, These symptoms (Computer Vision Syndrome - CVS) however are caused not by the computer screen itself but rather by the conditions surrounding the computer screen, such as poor lighting or improper placement of computer equipment and computer furniture. In some instances, a pre-existing eye problem may be the cause.
This is exactly what I am dealing with, low lighting and a bright monitor. The sad part is if I dim the monitor, the monitor doesn't look the way it needs to. I have noticed that placing a lamp or some other form of lighting within visual range, decreases my eye strain.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
LCD screens are sure easier on the eyes
Not necessarily - especially with text. LCD pixels are square with sharp edges. And no matter how small the squares, the curves of the letter "S" will still be jagged on an LCD.

However, on CRTs, the pixels are round dots with fuzzy edges. The fuzzy edges of CRT pixels blend with adjacent pixels, smoothing out the curves and that is MUCH easier on the human eye.

This is exactly why ClearType was developed for LCD monitors - to fool the human eye, but it is still not perfect, and again, many people still prefer a CRT for that reason.

Reaction score
Not necessarily - especially with text. LCD pixels are square with sharp edges. And no matter how small the squares, the curves of the letter "S" will still be jagged on an LCD.

However, on CRTs, the pixels are round dots with fuzzy edges. The fuzzy edges of CRT pixels blend with adjacent pixels, smoothing out the curves and that is MUCH easier on the human eye.

This is exactly why ClearType was developed for LCD monitors - to fool the human eye, but it is still not perfect, and again, many people still prefer a CRT for that reason.

Interesting, I thought clear type was just a fine tuning thing. It would be good to put a high resolution CRT alongside a High res LCD and compare same image in same light and receiving same signal just to see how they compared.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Interesting, I thought clear type was just a fine tuning thing.
The Control Panel applet used to adjust your ClearType settings is called the "ClearType Tuner", so that may be where the confusion came from.

Side by side comparisons may not be conclusive. A page of text may look better here, while a photo may look better there. Animation, depth, "warmth" are different characteristics. Architectural renderings may be better on a CRT than an LCD.

And of course, simple personal preference plays a key role.

Ultimately, LCDs will take over. CRTs are just too expensive to make, cost too much to run, take up too much space, and weigh a ton.

Reaction score
Digs, just how close to the monitor would someone have to be in order to see these pixel differences? You speak of square edges with the letter "S" but then I would have to be within inches from the monitor to see them.

Speaking of pixel blurring with the CRT, how much blur is classified acceptable? It has been my goal to remove as much blur as possible. I see pixel blur as a con not a pro because you never can remove all blur from a CRT.

The monitors that I had dealings with started to fade and badly blur after several years. Only so much tweaking on the circuit board inside the monitor can be done to help. After that you learn to deal with the defects or get a new monitor. These are problems I do not see with LCD monitor's using digital signaling and the native resolution.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You speak of square edges with the letter "S" but then I would have to be within inches from the monitor to see them.
That depends on your font, the resolution, screen size and more.
Speaking of pixel blurring with the CRT, how much blur is classified acceptable? It has been my goal to remove as much blur as possible. I see pixel blur as a con not a pro because you never can remove all blur from a CRT.
That also depends on the font (or image you are looking at) and the resolution. And to a great deal, your personal preference.

Yes, CRTs intensities fade over time. So do CCFL backlighting in LCD monitors. Even LEDs fade over time, though not by much, and that may be over decades too.

And note I am just stating the theory and facts as I know them. I abandoned my CRTs long ago. I am just saying that some people still prefer the image provided by CRT monitors. But certainly, as LCD technologies continue to improve, the CRT will continue to fade away.

Reaction score
Would you quit worrying about this! You're making a mountain out of a molehill. You get more radiation from a visit to the dentist's office when they do tooth X-Rays or sunning yourself for several hours.

If CRT's were so dangerous they would have been banned decades ago.

If you're so concerned then get an LCD and end your worries.
I've updated my posts with other questions and concerns. We're passed this man.

I don't buy this. I think the anti-radiation filter thing is useful ONLY to the scam artist selling it, and that's it.

If CRTs were emitting harmful radiation, we all would be glowing by now, at least any of us who up grew in homes with CRT TVs.
Just wondering, if CRTs emit very little radiation (supposing someone's sitting in front of one for 6 hours each day to study) compared to going out on a sunny day or visiting a dentist...why are there anti-radiation filters specifically designed for them? They are even made for CRTs, not LCDs. It's kind of hard to believe companies are scamming people with these products unless there are articles online debunking the myth.

Though I guess we all have our definitions of what's considerable and negligible radiation.

It had a small wire with an aligator clip that the instructions said to clip to a metal part of the monitor or if you had a desktop case then to the case.
I'll never know if the electromagnetic grounding did anything but the tinted screen did reduce eye strain.
Where does the other end of the wire go? I understand one end connects to a metal part of the monitor, but how about the other end?

Also about the discussion about text resolution between the two types of monitors, LCDs have what's called anti-aliasing so the argument CRT's have unpixelated lines is moot.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
We're passed this man.
My name is Nibiru2012... not man! Oh by the way, it is spelled 'past' not 'passed' as in he passed the football.

From Wikipedia:
In digital signal processing, spatial anti-aliasing is the technique of minimizing the distortion artifacts known as aliasing when representing a high-resolution image at a lower resolution. Anti-aliasing is used in digital photography, computer graphics, digital audio, and many other applications.
Amti-aliasing is NOT specific to LCD monitors, it's as described above. It's used with CRTs also.

You need to do you homework more.
Just wondering, if CRTs emit very little radiation (supposing someone's sitting in front of one for 6 hours each day to study) compared to going out on a sunny day or visiting a dentist...why are there anti-radiation filters specifically designed for them? They are even made for CRTs, not LCDs. It's kind of hard to believe companies are scamming people with these products unless there are articles online debunking the myth.
Because as P.T. Barnum once said: "There's a sucker born every minute." Caveat Emptor

At one time people bought pet rocks, so nothing surprises me.

Reaction score
You're mad because I addressed you as man? Good Christ. And here I was thinking "bro" would get you pissed, hence why I used man instead, and sure I used passed wrong, though not sure what pointing this out does but derail the thread, nor is this an English forum.

Also I never said anti-aliasing wasn't on CRTs, stop assuming. My point was both technologies address jaggedness, and as someone said you couldn't notice on an LCD the jags of an S unless you're abnormally close to the screen.

You sure do a better job being uptight and defensive than actually giving help when people request it.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Where does the other end of the wire go? I understand one end connects to a metal part of the monitor, but how about the other end?
There is only one end, the other end is already wired to the filter. Touching the free end to the metal is the same as grounding it to the ground (third wire) of the monitor.

Nibs would like you to use his name, please do so.

You may also want to look up neurosis. Do you have your groceries delivered so you can stay in your house 24x7 or do you only go out at night to avoid the sun? Do you wear tinfoil hats to protect yourself? These are things people make fun of and tend to cause you to be disassociated from others.

If God wants you dead he'll send a lightning bolt right down your telephone wire and pow you're history. Yesterday I felt my first earthquake ever and I sat there with the house shaking all around not even realizing what it was till it was already over; if He wanted me then the roof would have crushed my tinfoil hat deep into my skull.

You are too young to be this afraid of everything! You will die having never lived if you don't wake up!

Reaction score
Since when did I say I was scared of dying? I just want top-notch health pretty much.

And thanks for answering my question. It'd be nice if some people just didn't miss it, missing the point or taking things personally. I'm not here to bicker.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be dieing, any irrational fear that keeps you from living a normal healthy life. A life lived in fear is no life at all --unknown

Reaction score
I'm not scared of dying (mostly):eek:. It's just the means of arriving there that concern me :(.

My personal preference will be to die at 100yrs of age, shot by the jealous husband of a sexy 30yo blond. And they wont even see the bullet hole (think about that one 'cos I aint gunna explain it) :D

Reaction score
Thanks again for addressing my concerns. I may or may not setup the filters (bought 3 to see which one I'd choose) but currently not planning on to. I'm currently planning to stick to using the laptop in my room for school and come Spring semester, I'll have a school/work-specific laptop that'll also be a Dell Inspiron (yes I know some people don't like Dell...but I've yet to experience significant problems with them and I like their relatively low prices).

I'd like for this thread to stay up in case I have any more CRT questions I don't find answers to through search engines like Google. I do still have one and use it after all (though not as much obviously since it's not as uber safe as say, an LCD. Plus I'm not a fan of eye strain either...and yeah the text on it is actually blurry enough to give me a headache over time, and it's a Sony Trinitron).

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I'm not scared of dying (mostly):eek:. It's just the means of arriving there that concern me :(.

My personal preference will be to die at 100yrs of age, shot by the jealous husband of a sexy 30yo blond. And they wont even see the bullet hole (think about that one 'cos I aint gunna explain it) :D
THAT is pricelesss! LOL! :cool:

Using the ClearText option on a CRT WILL smooth out the font edges too. I used to do that when I had a CRT, but that was 9 years ago.

You sure do a better job being uptight and defensive than actually giving help when people request it.
I give a ton of help here, have been ever since I joined. Of course some folks are rather obstinate at times.

Brains and trains, my boy... brains and trains. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Brains and trains, my boy... brains and trains.
His name would be MJOLNIR

You seem to have gotten upset when he used the term "man". Please re-frame from doing the same that seems to make you upset. That does lead to confusion and a question as to why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question