SOLVED CRT High Pitch Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Brains and trains, my boy... brains and trains. :rolleyes:
Was that to me? What's THAT supposed to mean? I personally have, and recommend, both!

MJOLNIR, if you already bought 3 filters then I would definitely try one out. Though I don't put much stock in the radiation filter part they do take a lot of glare off the screen in a bright room and also make things darker, more soothing, which is nice at night.

Reaction score
Thanks clifford, though I don't mind if someone addresses me as something like dude, bro, man, pal, lad, etc., so long as it's not offensive intentionally.

Trainable I'll see what I'll do. Initially the filter was so that I use it if I mainly use the CRT monitor for a period of time, like this fall semester, but this is currently not the plan (plan on using a laptop instead) and eliminates my purpose of having one. I wasn't concerned with the minimal radiation when I scarcely use the CRT monitor which is connected to my desktop computer. I only use it for torrents and stuff that may easily attract viruses (don't care as much for my old desktop computer as I do my laptop, which is why I do it there).

Of course I have anti-viruses on both but even good ones never catch everything.

Reaction score
Ok...to be honest, that thread was mainly about the issue currently being discussed here. However this thread itself started off asking why my CRT monitor back then was emitting a high-pitched noise whenever a white-ish screen was on display. Digerati addressed that saying it had something to do with the flyback transforming starting to fail.

I brought the new issue here so as not to make another thread. I understand at least one person doesn't like it when I make threads that are relatively similar, which I can understand. By the way if you guys'll notice the issue's pretty much resolved here and there, but I'd like if the thread stayed unclosed nonetheless in case I have another question generally about CRTs down the road that I'm not successful finding answers to through search engines. Wouldn't want to make another thread just because of that.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
MJOLNIR said:
Digerati said:
I don't buy this. I think the anti-radiation filter thing is useful ONLY to the scam artist selling it, and that's it.

If CRTs were emitting harmful radiation, we all would be glowing by now, at least any of us who up grew in homes with CRT TVs.
Just wondering...why are there anti-radiation filters...? It's kind of hard to believe companies are scamming people with these products unless there are articles online debunking the myth.
You are kidding, right? There are 1000s of totally useless "miracle" products on the market that make countless unfounded, or even totally false claims of their usefulness. If they don't cause harm, they are not illegal.

Look at your own words - "debunking the myth". A myth is myth! You want to buy something to protect you from a myth?

I got this swamp land down in Florida...

Use Google. Please - GO FIND a white paper, an OSHA report, a KB article that says CRTs make you sterile or make your hair fall out or whatever, and post a link back here. If you can't find one, that should tell you something.

BTW, I can get you a great deal on 12 cases of my magic elixir that will put hair on your chest if you want it, or remove the hair if you don't. It will also make you grow 2 inches taller and is guaranteed to make you "last longer" - if you know what I mean. ;) ;) It is waterproof and can protect you from UV-A and UV-B, UV-C, Klingon Disruptor beams and X-rays, either man-made or from the sun for 12 hours, while swimming, in the rain. Plus you can use it to clean the soap scum, rust and lime in the bathtub, just 8 ounces in your gas tank will double your gas mileage (triple if you rub some on the inside of your tires), and it's great drizzled on burgers and fries - all for only $19.99 a case.

But wait! Act now, and I will double your order! And if you order within the next 59 minutes, I'll pay the $20 shipping and handling charge (on the first case).

Sorry, couldn't resist.

U.S. FDA - Radiation Emitting Products
X-radiation emissions from properly operated TV sets and computer monitors containing CRTs are well controlled and do not present a public health hazard. The FDA standard, and today’s technology, such as electronic hold-down safety circuits and regulated power supplies, have effectively eliminated the risk of x-radiation from these products. FDA has not found TVs that violate the standard under normal (home) use conditions.
"Normal" use. So as I stated way above, unless the CRT monitor has bounced off the floor a couple times, there's nothing to worry about.

As for anti-glare filters, some work at reducing glare, but I really don't like them. They tend to restrict your field of vision - that is, they force you to sit and hold your head directly in front of the monitor. If you move off to the side, all becomes blurry. And even straight on, they impact, in a bad way, the display quality. It is best to move your office around so ceiling lights or windows are not being reflected off the screen.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I brought the new issue here so as not to make another thread. I understand at least one person doesn't like it when I make threads that are relatively similar, which I can understand.
If you are referring to me, I meant not to open another thread on that issue because I had locked the thread in question and I did not want you to try to continue it elsewhere

By the way if you guys'll notice the issue's pretty much resolved here and there, but I'd like if the thread stayed unclosed nonetheless in case I have another question generally about CRTs down the road that I'm not successful finding answers to through search engines. Wouldn't want to make another thread just because of that.
In general it is best to start a new thread if the issue is different or if the thread has been closed for 2 or 3 months. I have mark this thread as solved.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You are kidding, right? There are 1000s of totally useless "miracle" products on the market that make countless unfounded, or even totally false claims of their usefulness. If they don't cause harm, they are not illegal.

Look at your own words - "debunking the myth". A myth is myth! You want to buy something to protect you from a myth?

I got this swamp land down in Florida...

Use Google. Please - GO FIND a white paper, an OSHA report, a KB article that says CRTs make you sterile or make your hair fall out or whatever, and post a link back here. If you can't find one, that should tell you something.

BTW, I can get you a great deal on 12 cases of my magic elixir that will put hair on your chest if you want it, or remove the hair if you don't. It will also make you grow 2 inches taller and is guaranteed to make you "last longer" - if you know what I mean. ;) ;) It is waterproof and can protect you from UV-A and UV-B, UV-C, Klingon Disruptor beams and X-rays, either man-made or from the sun for 12 hours, while swimming, in the rain. Plus you can use it to clean the soap scum, rust and lime in the bathtub, just 8 ounces in your gas tank will double your gas mileage (triple if you rub some on the inside of your tires), and it's great drizzled on burgers and fries - all for only $19.99 a case.

But wait! Act now, and I will double your order! And if you order within the next 59 minutes, I'll pay the $20 shipping and handling charge (on the first case).

Sorry, couldn't resist.

U.S. FDA - Radiation Emitting Products

"Normal" use. So as I stated way above, unless the CRT monitor has bounced off the floor a couple times, there's nothing to worry about.

As for anti-glare filters, some work at reducing glare, but I really don't like them. They tend to restrict your field of vision - that is, they force you to sit and hold your head directly in front of the monitor. If you move off to the side, all becomes blurry. And even straight on, they impact, in a bad way, the display quality. It is best to move your office around so ceiling lights or windows are not being reflected off the screen.
The filters come with a grounding wire for the purpose of reducing even minimal radiation and the people who've reviewed the products found it useful. I use Google constantly before I bring issues up in threads, and the middle paragraph was unnecessary and clearly an attempt to mock. Also should've checked the latest posts - we're pretty much done here.

Reaction score
Of course you realise that worrying JUST about a crt monitor is pointless. If we were to accept as an argument that there was a measurable detriment to your health by using CRT monitors then you also best worry about all the various EMR's floating around from the various transmitters, your mobile phone, your wifi, wifi hotspots in Macdonalds stores, the two way radio in taxi's. The HF, VHF, and in some cases UHF transmissions in aircraft.
All the CB radio nuts and radio hams, the list is endless.

Then you've got food additives, pestisides, pollution geez I'm amazed I've lived long enough just to finish typing this.

Life is fraught with peril. Accept it and live with it 'cos there aint nuthin' we can much do about it.
Just remember to look right and left when crossing the road, don't smoke, do drugs, drink to much, eat too much, eat too little, eat the wrong stuff, put chemicals on your skin etc etc etc etc ad nauseum.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
MJOLNIR said:
and clearly an attempt to mock.
Yes it was, and I apologized immediately to make it clear it was meant as tongue in cheek. And then I went on to provide more proof and evidence showing your concerns are unfounded which you have choosen to ignore too.

However, I apologize again - it was not appropriate in the "technical" forums.

I use Google
Then show us! Teach us! Post your findings! Show where OSHA, the FDA, CDC, New England Journal of Medicine, The Lancet, or ANY health and safety related organization has reported CRTs emit harmful radiation. Just one!

and the people who've reviewed the products found it useful.
Oh? Did they stop glowing? Did their cancers go away? Are they experts? Or just people trying to rationalize being conned out of their money on a gimmick? Got a link to a real review site or testing laboratory?

Think about this for a second. X-rays are invisible. How would they know these so called anti-radiation filters worked? They wouldn't so OBVIOUSLY those reviewers did not know what they were talking about, or more likely the reviewers were the scam artists trying to pump up sales - a COMMON PROBLEM with "user reviews" even on sites like Newegg, Amazon, and TigerDirect.

I think your obsession, and that's what it "appears" to be (I'm not a shrink), is totally unfounded and there has been much evidence presented here to show that your fears are unfounded. But clearly, you don't want to believe us, the FDA, or any other source we have provided. You have provided nothing to support your fears, yet you persist. So in my opinion, you are just wasting everyone's time.

So here is my last bit of advice: Take all the CRT monitors and TVs in your house and donate them to the Salvation Army or Disabled Vets, or take them to your local electronics recycling center. Do NOT toss them in the trash; the landfills glow enough at night already. ;) Then go buy new LCD TVs and monitors. They don't emit any radiation, they don't use extremely high voltages, and they don't have flyback transformers that emit high-pitched noises.

Then avoid cell phones and cell towers and high-voltage transmission lines, microwave ovens, wireless keyboards and mice, and the sun. And don't wear a watch. Most use radioactive isotopes, typically tritium or promethium, to make them glow at night.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
..., and the middle paragraph was unnecessary and clearly an attempt to mock. Also should've checked the latest posts - we're pretty much done here.
It was jest at your expense, humor in the extreme to make the point that you are making "much ado about nothing." Sometimes it makes it's point to the butt of the joke but often it just gives others a chuckle.

And as for the thread being done, they can see it is marked solved so they know the original poster is satisfied, but threads are often continued by persons who did not start the discussion because they have more questions, suggestions or thoughts on the matter. I could close the thread and that would limit the replies but you asked to have it left open so, MJOLNIR, you should not feel any obligation to reply to any of these posts now that it is solved.

Reaction score
Yes, Mychael, I'm aware of what you're saying.

Yes it was, and I apologized immediately to make it clear it was meant as tongue in cheek. And then I went on to provide more proof and evidence showing your concerns are unfounded which you have choosen to ignore too.

However, I apologize again - it was not appropriate in the "technical" forums.

Then show us! Teach us! Post your findings! Show where OSHA, the FDA, CDC, New England Journal of Medicine, The Lancet, or ANY health and safety related organization has reported CRTs emit harmful radiation. Just one!

Oh? Did they stop glowing? Did their cancers go away? Are they experts? Or just people trying to rationalize being conned out of their money on a gimmick? Got a link to a real review site or testing laboratory?

Think about this for a second. X-rays are invisible. How would they know these so called anti-radiation filters worked? They wouldn't so OBVIOUSLY those reviewers did not know what they were talking about, or more likely the reviewers were the scam artists trying to pump up sales - a COMMON PROBLEM with "user reviews" even on sites like Newegg, Amazon, and TigerDirect.

I think your obsession, and that's what it "appears" to be (I'm not a shrink), is totally unfounded and there has been much evidence presented here to show that your fears are unfounded. But clearly, you don't want to believe us, the FDA, or any other source we have provided. You have provided nothing to support your fears, yet you persist. So in my opinion, you are just wasting everyone's time.

So here is my last bit of advice: Take all the CRT monitors and TVs in your house and donate them to the Salvation Army or Disabled Vets, or take them to your local electronics recycling center. Do NOT toss them in the trash; the landfills glow enough at night already. ;) Then go buy new LCD TVs and monitors. They don't emit any radiation, they don't use extremely high voltages, and they don't have flyback transformers that emit high-pitched noises.

Then avoid cell phones and cell towers and high-voltage transmission lines, microwave ovens, wireless keyboards and mice, and the sun. And don't wear a watch. Most use radioactive isotopes, typically tritium or promethium, to make them glow at night.
TL;DR

As for me using Google, I already pointed out there were contradicting sources and I never implied CRT radiation was serious. In fact I've been pointing out the whole time that it was pretty much negligible (supposing one isn't using one for extended periods of time and being up-close, which isn't the case for me) and I just didn't want to be exposed to even small radiation coming from a really old CRT monitor that's been falling apart since the last year or two. Heck on windows7forums someone mentioned a safety regulation started post '98. This monitor was even before that so I wasn't sure if it was good to use for the ridiculous amount of time I was planning to spend on it. Bringing up other kinds of radiation one normally gets exposed to is moot since the idea is to get as least exposed as possible. I wasn't going to use the monitor an hour a day. I was going to use it half the day. We aren't eating at restaraunts and getting x-rays for half the day are we?

Look, your lengthening a dead discussion which pretty much already served its purpose. Stop acting like I don't know s*** simply because you're miscomprehending what I type.

MJOLNIR, you should not feel any obligation to reply to any of these posts now that it is solved.
As does anyone else who's nothing to discuss or questions to bring up. Digerati's pretty much trolling as we speak.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Digerati stated his feelings and even apologized. It took you 5 days to reply to him so he is not trolling now, you are. You could not just let it go. The thread is solved and has been going down ever since.

I'm afraid your earlier request to leave it open will now be denied. Closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question