High CPU - hal.dll notskrnl.exe cause?

Reaction score
Hi, i've been experiencing High CPU (upto 15%~) from NT Kernel and System. I game a lot so although 15% might not sound a lot, it really does make me lag during my gaming, and I've read that the process should be 0% usually.

After running WPR for a bit whilst the issue was happening, the following results were graphed.

[link removed by moderator]

Any advice on how to go about lowering the CPU usage on a windows 7 machine from the process would be uch appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is generally not considered polite forum etiquette to post the same question in another forum until you have waited about 3 days without a solution.

But regardless, you will not link your post here to their copy of the image because we will not be forced to log in to their site to see it. Upload your image to our site.

Reaction score
Okay. Its been 3 days with no reply by now anyway so hope you can help me. Nobody seems to be able to get round this issue :\ I re-uploaded the image

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It looks like the nt kernal is almost perfectly constant in the CPU use so it is not likely the problem. Your lag would be more likely caused by the processes that spike.

Are you using the latest graphics driver for your video card? Also check if there is a more recent driver for your LAN network interface card (NIC). And make sure the game has the latest patches installed.

Reaction score
Hi, I have checked for updates on both through device manager and it says my drivers are up to date.

:(

Reaction score
Why does hal.dll have such a high cpu? Isn't it meant to have 0 cpu after booting.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No, actually hal is expected to be CPU intensive, it works like a translator for the computer hardware.

Also, the check for updates button does not mean you have the latest driver, it merely means you have the latest that Microsoft has a record of. You need to go to the website of the graphics card manufacturer and the website of your NIC and check there for more recent updates.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

Did you find a solution to you problem?

Reaction score
Nope :\ I updated all the drivers from the manufcaturers websites even... No idea what the cause is

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

Did you want to put WPR log files somewhere that I can get them? I'll have a look if you want.

You won't be able to upload them to the forum because they will be too big.

Ask a Question