cpu and heat sink which one???

Reaction score
Hi every one...

I'm currently looking for a new cpu (as in used because my cpu is fried) and a heat sink..
ok here are some heat sinks i found
1. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Black-Silver...70639250?pt=AU_Components&hash=item20b4b3da92
2. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Spire-SP512S...386?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414fa04b7a (i don't know about this 1, it's 3 pin where my board is 4.. may not work??)
3. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Intel-775-He...41340089?pt=AU_Components&hash=item2eb13201b9

also i found some Pentium 4 2.8Ghz 775 socket cpu's with hyper threading, will they perform better that a 3.2Ghz Celeron D 64bit??

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I pick Door #3 the heatsink with the heat pipes. Better cooling.

Looks like you're trying to economize a little, in these times I do understand.

If the Pentium is 64-bit capable, then get it. The difference in .4 GHz won't be significant and you can overclock it too.

What is the Model and Series of the the Pentium 4? Celeron are low-end with certain features disabled so the Pentium should be a better choice.

Reaction score
Before you go off and buy another CPU, I would check to see what one(s) your motherboard supports. Even though the sockets may look the same, the BIOS may not recognize it and you will come to a screeching halt on power-up.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Before you go off and buy another CPU, I would check to see what one(s) your motherboard supports. Even though the sockets may look the same, the BIOS may not recognize it and you will come to a screeching halt on power-up.
fixer34 offered a good suggestion and making sure that the new CPU is compatible with your existing motherboard. Many times just a BIOS firmware update will do the trick though.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
And also understand if you buy a "retail" version of a CPU, it will come as a "unit" with a heatsink fan (HSF) assembly. Then understand that the 3 year warranty is only valid if you use the supplied HSF as both Intel and AMD do not allow the use of 3rd party coolers (when it comes to warranty support). If you don't care about the warranty, then no big deal - you can keep the OEM fan for a spare and use a 3rd party cooler.

Note this is not my opinion - I am just the messenger. It is in your warranty!

Intel CPU Warranty Information - "Intel warrants the Product (defined as the boxed Intel® processor and the accompanying thermal solution)... ...This Limited Warranty does NOT cover...damage to the Product due to external causes, including...usage not in accordance with product instructions...".

AMD CPU Warranty Information - "This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith."

So my advice is to (1) determine which CPUs are compatible with your motherboard then (2) use the HSF that comes with the CPU. The good news is since neither AMD or Intel want to replace a CPU under warranty, the OEM fans supplied provide excellent cooling and are fairly quiet too. As long as the case and case fans provide good front to back air flow, you keep the internals clean of heat trapping dust, and you don't overclock (damage from which is also not covered under warranty), the OEM fans will provide years of reliable service.

Ask a Question