Core i7 distribution problem

Reaction score
Recently discovering Windows 7 we found that it is a LOT more stable for running the audio sequencer Cakewalk Sonar 8 than XP. However, when a fair amount of plugins are in use, the CPU meters in Sonar appear to be uneven. The top one is red lining and the others hardly in use. The overall percentage can be at 90% while Window's Task Manager claims only about 25% of CPU usage.

As this processor uses hyperthreading, 8 cores appear in Sonar. According to Windows, half of the cores are "parked" and not in use. Has anyone else tried pushing this particular processor in Windows 7? The load distribuition is fine in XP. It seems to be either an update being needed or a way to switch off processor parking. Any advice would be most welcome before the PC gets thrown out of the window!!!

Reaction score
All it means is that Cakewalk isn't very good at multi-threading. There's not much you can do.

No update is needed, and there isn't any magic switch. Either the program will be good at recruiting additional cores, or it won't be.

Reaction score
As stated above, the load distribution is FINE in XP so obviously Cakewalk IS good at multithreading but just not in Windows 7.

Reaction score
This is well off topic...BUT i love da user name ....Camel Toe :adore:Quality !!!!!

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
As stated above, the load distribution is FINE in XP so obviously Cakewalk IS good at multithreading but just not in Windows 7.
I've not had any issues with Core i7 and Multithreading support in Windows 7. As long as the software supports 8 cores I've had no trouble fully loading the CPU to 100% usage, as reported by task manager. It sounds like a program specific issue. Out of curiosity did you ensure to compare against a 32bit Windows 7 install?

Ask a Question