Constant BSOD on new computer

Reaction score
I´ve got a problem. I keep getting BDOS´s, usually just as the loggin screen is about to appear, but not always. Sometimes the computer runs perfectly fine for an entire day and then the day after when I try and boot it up I get the BDOS. Also, if I do manage to log on I dont get any more BDOS´s untill i reboot. Quite often files seem to get corrupted in the process and I have to use windows repair before I can get back in.

At first I though it had to do with me, by accident, updating the BIOS with an update inteded for a different revision of the MB then the one I have. But I changed it back after noticing and I´m still getting the BSOD´s.

Then I thought it might have to do with me overclocking the computer, perhaps I didnt have the vcore or the QPI/vtt or what ever its called high enough. But I tried both lowering the OC and upping the voltages and it didnt change anything. Then I reset the board to default running everything at standard specc and still it didnt change anything. So dont think it was the overclocking.

Then I thought it might have to do with my soundcard after reading about one of the BDOS I got and that my soundcard with win7 could caus the BSOD´s I´ve been getting. I also tried updating to all the latest drivers first but it didnt change anything. Though, to be fair, it was also mentiuoned that it could be because of the graphics driver, bad memory, using norton (which I dont), they seemed to list pretty much everything. ***Since I just removed the soundcard I´ve not yet noticed if im getitng the BDOS´s with it not in the computer. Really hope its not the soundcard though, Gigaworks S750 7,1 on the onboard soundystem on the card...sucks****

Then I thought it might be my memory sticks that where bad. But I´ve ran memtest with the sticks individually and together and I´m not getting any errors. Although I did get errors at one time, but that was when i still had the wrong BIOS installed.

But even tho I´ve ran memtest just fine im still not settled its not the memories. Today when trying to loggon I got some errors ive never gotten before saying that my memories couldnt be read, along with some numbers I think was the data points on the memoires themselves. I looked up the the BDOS tthough that I got and it seemed to refer to my DVD for some reason. Something about: Atempted execute of noexecute memory. I noticed that I had plugged in the dvd sata (ata) cabel or whatever its called in the sata3 spot so changed it to a normal one just incase, not sure if that was the problem though.

Since I´m problably not explaing very well I´m including a rar file containing the bluescreen´s I´ve gotten the past 3 days. There were more, but think they where lost when I did the system repairs. Most of them where about memory management and page fault in nopaged area though.

Please, if anyone can make something out of the .dmp files or give any reason to all the BDOS´s im geting, if its the ram, driver conflicts, hardware compatibility issues or anything else. I would very much appreciate the help.

Next step is reinstalling the computer, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas first.

My components are:

GA-P55A-UD3 rev1 using BIOS version F7
I5 760
2X2gb Corsair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz 4GB (i´ve tried running with XMP on and off, not notcing any difference)
Corsair TX 750W
Ati 5850 graphics card
Creative x-fi extreme music soundcard
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit fully uppdated

Just put the comp together this last monday, and I´m not getting any errror beeps coming from the MB. For some reason tho, when I press the power on button it takes 3 seconds before anything happens. Then it starts to boot up but stops, 2 seconds later it starts booting up again and thats that. Perhaps thats how some comps boot up, or perhaps its an indicator that soething is wrong?

Here´s a link to all my .dmp files.

http://uploading.com/files/527m6de8/Ny+mapp.rar/

Since not everyone might have a program to open the .dmp files here are the error codes written down for the past 3 days:

Attempted_Execute_Of_Noexecute_memory
Kmode_exception_not handled
Memory_management (3 of these)
Page_Fault_In_Nopaged_Area (2 of these)
System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled

One file seems to be highlighted with red on pretty much all of those and thats: Ntoskrnl.exe. Also mentioned are: fltmgr.sys, psinknc.sys and bowser.sys

Reaction score
Hello there.

You'll want to remove the Panda Cloud Antivirus in safe mode using the tool found here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/78961-av-uninstallers.html

Boot to normal mode and install MSE as a replacement.

--------

Update your Creative drivers:

Code:
ctac32k  ctac32k.sys  Wed Jul 02 04:38:22 2008
http://support.creative.com/

--------

Uninstall the notorious but never glorious Daemon Tools, normally. Then use the installer/uninstaller to remove sptd.sys:

DuplexSecure - Downloads

Reboot when done and install PowerISO so you can still have drive emulation. It will never crash and emulation part is free forever.

http://www.PowerISO.com

-------

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Hello, and thanks for the reply.

Sadly it didnt seem to help, but I´ve got a few more things to try before I give up:

Updating the Bios (was in contact with Gigabytes support and there was an update with added memory support etc - strange that its not even listen on the swedish version of their webpage...)

Reinstallation of windows, possibly vista 64bit.

What I dont get is why I get these BSOD`s usually only duing the first boot up of the day. If I´ve managed to logon fine once I can restart the computer as much as I like and no errors. Then the next day after a few hours of being turned off I get the errrors again.

Anyway, off to buy an usb memory stick to try the Bios update. I´ll post progress report as I go along.

/Christian Bengtsson

Reaction score
Let's see the new crash dumps. :)

It's always good to update the bios to run the latest, so cool.

Reaction score
Here are the new dump files, all of them had to do with memory_management:

http://uploading.com/files/32f72m7b/dumo.rar/

I´ve not trued updating the Bios just yet. Construction work going on close to where I live and I´ve had 2x powersurges so far in under 30 min. Hate to get one just as I´m updating the Bios =)

Reaction score
Memory management stop errors usually mean that a driver is corrupting the memory. Or it could be faulty RAM module(s).

Good job with everything from the last post.

This isn't the issue but you can update your Realtek HD Audio driver for the sake of keeping an updated machine:

Code:
RTKVHD64 RTKVHD64.sys Tue Jan 19 05:42:09 2010
http://218.210.127.131/downloads/do...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

-----------

The two things you can do from here are:

1) Test the memory using Memtest86+ overnight. Used best when testing one module at a time, while others are removed from the system.

2) Run Driver Verifier to see if the crash dumps flag the actual troublesome driver. Here's how:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/mic...t/473665-driver-verifier-windows-7-vista.html

It could be the Apple Charger driver, but doubtful.

---------

Before testing memory, I would use CPU-Z to get the exact memory model number. Then visit the manufacturer's website on it to get the right values for voltage (vdimm), timings and frequency. Set the motherboard bios manually using these values.

Reaction score
What I dont get is why I get these BSOD`s usually only duing the first boot up of the day. If I´ve managed to logon fine once I can restart the computer as much as I like and no errors. Then the next day after a few hours of being turned off I get the errrors again.
/Christian Bengtsson
TorrentG is by far the expert here but that comment you made did remind me of something which fixed my problems. I was getting first boot of the day problems but once I'd got over that I could reboot without issues.
What was suggested to me was that after powering down the computer I'd turn the power off at the wall then hold down the power button on the computer for about 10 secs.

The rational being that either the PSU or the MOBO was retaining charge and causing the problems at next start up. "dumping" any residual charge in the manner I described fixed my problem.

Reaction score
Cold boot problems like you're describing but fine otherwise is due to an improper bios voltage setting. The modules aren't getting enough power.

When warmed up slightly, the issue tends to hide itself, so no bsod then.

Reaction score
Not sure if I understand how the driver verifier works. I followed the guide and upon clicking finish and having rebooted nothing happens. Is it running in the background?

I tried the verifier /query command and some text flashed by. Can´t read it though.

Also, about the possiblity of wrong voltage settings. Previously, before I updated the Bios, my cpu wasnt fully supported - could it have been setting wrong voltage settings because of this?

All voltage settings are on auto in the Bios with the exception of Vcore which is at 1,26 and Vdimm which is at 1,65. The memory are on their reckomended voltage aswell as reckomended timings, 8.8.8.24 (used the X.M.P feature so they set themselves up).

Reaction score
If you followed the process, then yes, it is running in the background. If and when a new crash happens, it will produce a Driver Verifier crash dump. There is a higher chance of this type to show what is causing issues, if in fact it is a driver.

I don't think it's a driver because I'm fairly accurate and efficient at picking out possible problems just by looking at the drivers installed. I see no problems.

------

Let's wait and see what the crashes may say.

I would possibly try setting Vcore to auto if it comes to it.

Reaction score
I really hoped the updated Bios would do the trick. But I got blue screens yet again this morning, 3x memory_management followed by having to use windows repair before I could log on.

I´ve set all the voltages on auto now, and driver verifier did not find any problems.

I´m going to run memorytest with the sticks individually for a much longer time than I´ve prevously done. Kinda hoping I get a ton of errors all of a sudden.

If I dont find any errors after 6h each on the memory sticks I´ll try and install windows vista just incase its drivers after all. Next up I would guess would be to try some other memorie sticks.

Heres the last dump files, only got 1 but I got 3 bluescreens trying to boot up:
http://uploading.com/files/eba66279/082410-15256-01.rar/

Reaction score
Nah, I wouldn't bother with Vista. That's taking a step in the wrong direction imho. It isn't going to help, trust me.

No driver was flagged in this DV crash dump posted. There is a bios issue doing this.

I would set the memory voltage and timings manually while leaving the cpu voltage and other settings to auto.

This is likely to solve the issue. If not, test memory for defects and replace.

You can check your startup apps to see what drvinst.exe is. This was actually involved in the crash. Stop this process from starting with Windows.
I'd use regedit to do so. If you need help with that, please let me know.

A good malware scan can never hurt. Install Malwarebytes. Run it then update its definitions. Let it scan and remove all it finds.

As a temporary test, you could go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and rename AppleCharger.sys to AppleCharger.BAK then reboot. This will break the Apple software, but it is only a test and can be renamed to original at any time you wish.

Definitely not the issue, but it would be good to update the Realtek HD Audio driver:

Code:
RTKVHD64 RTKVHD64.sys Tue Jan 19 05:42:09 2010
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

You can also update the Realtek network driver:

Code:
Rt64win7 Rt64win7.sys Fri Nov 27 04:45:07 2009
Type systeminfo in a command prompt then press enter to see which Realtek lan you have. Then search its number in the following link to the left side. If you have 8111, don't search and use the actual page instead:

RTL8111

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay,

I´ve ran memtest with the sticks indivudally for 6 passes or 600% each and there where no errors.

I´ve changed the ram voltage and timings indivually to the reckomended settings. All other settings in the Bios are on auto.

I´ve istalled the latest drivers for the LAN and soundcard - I am however not using the onboard sound, I reinstalled the x-fi sound card and updated to the latest drivers since my problems are likely not because of the soundcard.

I´ve ran malware bytes and did not find anything.

About the regedit thing I would need alot of help with that. All I know about regedit is how to open it=/

One thing worth mentioning though. After I had ran memtest on the first stick I powered down and replaced it with the other one. Upon rebooting I noticed that the computer rebooted yet again prior to getting to the loggin screen (did not get any BSOD, it just rebooted) Reason being was that it could not start windows and so it started windows repair instead.

Windows repair could not however repair the issue. And when I clicked the little tab where it said what happened this is the message I got:

Startrep.exe application error
The instruction at 0xfc370299 referenced memory at 0x00000191. The memory could not be read.

I googled "the memory could not be read" and found that it could be because of the page file not being large enough, and or that it could have something to do with my java installation. Therefore I made the page-file larger and reinstalled java.

From what I gathered when I googled the memory could not be read, it didnt seem to mean that the memory was faulty.

If it made any difference I problably wont know untill tomorrow .

Reaction score
Install the latest Realtek HD Audio driver anyhow, even if you don't use it. Its driver is loaded with Windows and because of that, it affects everything going on.

Instead of installing the latest driver which I would recommend to do, you can disable the onboard audio from within the bios. This way, the driver will not be loaded at all.

-----

I think your actual problem could be the Creative card though. They are simply notorious. I would install the latest onboard driver, remove the Creative card from the system and test like this for a few days. When no crashes happen, then you can be sure they were due to the Creative card.

Reaction score
Hello,

I took a little break from trying to fix the problem. Nothing seemed to make a difference and I just felt more and more like throwing the computer in the ground.

Anyway. Yesterday I decided to reinstall the computer entirely aswell as removing the x-fi soundcard to see if it would make a difference. In retrospect I whish I never had.

Everything looked fine after the installation, I installed only the bare essentials; such as drivers for the graphics card and MSE and procceded to play some games waiting for tomorrow (today) and see if it made a difference.

It did not. I´ve been getting more bluescreens than ever before. And I cant seem to get windows repair to run so I cant fix it either...

Right now I´m in safe mode. Which booted up perfectly fine btw.

http://uploading.com/files/75477d95/New+folder.rar/

The drivers which you´ll problably notice are at this time not updated fully. I´ve only ran the motherboard disk that came with. Not sure I can update those things in safe mode.

Reaction score
Finally managed to enter windows on normal mode without getting a BSOD, only had one program (pdf) crash but thankfully it ended there. The earlier boots today ended up with 2-4 programs crashing due to not being able to read the memory (I think) followed by a blue screen.

Either way, just wanted to say I updated the onboard soundcard with the latest drivers, also updated the usb 3.0 drivers, aswell as the LAN and some INTEL INF drivers. Got them from here:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3242&dl=1#dl

I wanted to update my sata2/3 drivers aswell because I´m really starting to think its a hard drive issue but but I couldnt install the sata2 drives found on this page due to no gigabyte gbb36x scsi adapter found (thinking its got something to do with RAID?)

And after downloading the marverll console driver (sata3) and running it all of a sudden I wasnt even sure if it was what I thought it was. It wanted to install some Magni console setup thing...

Reaction score
Just been following this post as TorrentG is the expert here but if the SCSI adapter means the same thing as when I had a SCSI (pronounced skuzzie) then it has nothing to do with raid. SCSI stands for (if I remember correctly) small computer systems interface. I had it on my first build, very fast devices in their time but needing a adapter or controllor card to run them. Cant help with your main problem though, sorry.

Reaction score
The common "issue" (I put that in quotations because it's not proven yet) that always appears in ALL of your crash dumps then and now, is the AppleCharger.sys driver that I keep mentioning.

There was another case exactly like yours which seemed unsolvable where the user never removed it either.

Why don't you try uninstalling all Apple software for some time and give the pc a nice testing with normal usage or games etc... :)

And also, install the Realtek HD Audio driver from the Realtek link.

Last edited:
Reaction score
the AppleCharger.sys slipped my mind earlier.

At first I had no idea what program it might be related to, but then I googled it and found some "on_off Charge program that comes with the motherboard to charge apple items:

http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/185/on-off-charge.htm

I´ve uninstalled it now. Hopefully it will work, wont know untill tomorrow=)

*read the link and it seems as if its only available on revision 2 motherboards, im on rev 1, might be why it wasnt working assuming its to blame

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh ya, definitely even more likely to have been the issue, since it's a motherboard utility.

Motherboard utilities from all manufacturers are notorious. Keep finger crossed and hope for the best.

Ask a Question