Constant BSOD on new computer

Reaction score
Greetings and salutations!

Removing the On_Off utility definetly seemed to help. Just now was the first time since I put the computer together that I did not get any BSOD´s before being able to finally log on.

I did however get several app crashes followed by the computer locking up. But since I never got any BSOD I dont have any dump files to send. The apps that crashed that I know about, since I got a window saying they did, was Catalyst control center. The second Im not so sure, it crashed when I tried to go into the device manager.

Upon restarting the computer logged on fine without any app crashses though.

I know there are something called "Event viewer" on windows 7 - are its logs something I can send or look at to see what happen now that I didnt get any BSOD (and as such no dump file)

Either way, here it is:
http://uploading.com/files/bc9beaff/Events.evtx/

At any rate, no BSOD´s! Many thanks for that, lets hope this thing with the app crashes ´was just a random fluke.

I´m off to work so will be a while before any answers.

Again, many thanks for all the help so far!

Reaction score
Open an elevated command prompt. Type the following command and press enter:

sfc /scannow

Perhaps there are some corrupt files it can fix. It will tell you if it did or not when it completes.

You're welcome.

-------

Clean the files then the registry with Ccleaner.

-------

Defragment the hard drive(s). I recommend O&O Defrag but the built-in Windows one should be alright.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just got home from work and it seems as if I was wrong about the BSOD problem having been sorted=/

Immediatly after having logged on I got a memory_management crash, rebooted and got another. Then I tried going into Safemode and I got a Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area.

After that windows could not start up and windows repair started but quickly stoped due to some "Memory could not be read" errors. Restarted the computer again and this time windows repairs finished without errors and I could start windows again.

Am i wrong in thinking that the memory_manage problems have more to do with my HDD than ram or anything else? It seems to me that windows repair is always fixing the HDD when its running.

I´ve got an old HDD laying around that I know works. And by old I do mean old, some ide HDD with a 40pin connector (think its 8-10 years old) Would it be worth trying it for a while and removing the one I´ve got in now?

Here´s the new crashdumps:

http://uploading.com/files/mmf88551/Desktop.rar/

I feel like hitting the comp with a sledgehammer at this point...

Reaction score
There is a really weird reference to vga.sys, which is a Microsoft OS driver realted to video.

Code:
Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 50, {fffff8a08028cde0, 0, fffff80002080cf0, 5}

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : vga.sys ( vga!VgaAcquireResources+bf )

Followup: MachineOwner
Go in the bios and check on the onboard vga setting if there is one. Disable it and save.

Other than that, I still think it's very likely that either the RAM or motherboard is defective.

Reaction score
There is no on-board vga chip on the motherboard. The only vga related setting I could see that I can change was something to do with pci-express frequency.

There is one thing I forgot to mention that happened the day after I put the computer together. I booted up cod2 modern warfare to test the game since it came with the graphcis card. And on the first mission if you picture the screen as consisting of 100 squares, then 15-20% or so of these squares consisted of vertical lines while the other squares looked perfectly fine. I rebooted the comp and it was fine again tho.

Only happened once.

Another time when playing WoW the screen went black with slightly grayish horizontal lines that appeared. The comp seemed to still be running, I had spotify in the background playing music.

Anyway, its starting to look as if dont have much choise but to send most of the items back to the shop.

Reaction score
Do you have any other video card to install to see how it goes with it, for now as a test?

Reaction score
Might be able to borrow an old 3870x2 card from my parents computer.

I´ll try it out.

Reaction score
Not had a chance to test with a different graphics card yet. Just wanted to mention something I just noticed.

So, I just got home from work and as expected I got BSOD after BSOD. Windows repair would not start after 3 restarts and 3 BSOD. Neither could I enter safe mode (more BSODS) and I got tired of waiting for windows repair to finally start. So I thought I´d test something.

What I did was removing one of the memory sticks, and sure enough all of a sudden the computer started without first running windows repair.

I´m gonna give it a go with just one of the memory sticks for a few days and see what happens.

Reaction score
I ended up buying new memories after noticing that if I ran memorytest86+ from a boot disc right away during the morning, before windows or anything else had booted up, I got about 2000 errors in 15 seconds or less.

Running windows repair removed the issues and before I had only ran memorytest within windows after having run the repair program which fixed the issue, so I never got any errors on memorytest. Dont know why windows repair sorted the program or why the comp worked fine untill the next restart, but atleast it does run without any issues now.

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Great to hear that replacing memory solved the issue. Thanks for telling us and enjoy.

Ask a Question