Connecting to objects on my home network

Reaction score
\\computer_name is not accessible. You might not have, etc...

"The specified network provider name is invalid"

This is the message from the desktop I am at, even though I can get to the Internet from this PC, and another PC on my network can "see" this PC and its objects. Running Win 7 Pro. Have, potentially, five computers that have all at one time worked on my network. Problem started when I went from a wireless network adapter to a powerline device. But I had occasion to use a wireless NIC card from time to time when normally using the wireless adapter, and now that wireless NIC card doesn't work either. In Control Panel, can see my network infrastructure device and its IP (an Actiontec router), can log into my network storage device but not store on it, can print to my wireless network printer (and see its IP address), but cannot view neither my computer (with proper network name) nor the laptop (which CAN see this computer on the network).

Where best to start??

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm no expert on networking so I don't expect I will have your answers but I do have questions that your answers might help others to figure it all out.

I suspect this may be a more a hardware wiring issue since you mention it all worked till you switched your "wireless network adapter to a powerline device" but just to consider other possibilities ....

Are all the PCs running W7? If not, then are you using Home groups on the W7 Pro machine (because from what I have seen Home groups don't work well with XP).

Reaction score
1 PC is running Win 7, the other is running XP. Two laptops running Win7, one is running XP

Ask a Question