SOLVED Computer Had Died

Reaction score
Hello,

My computer was left in sleep mode overnight and it has been working perfectly normally.

This morning I get nothing on the screen. I have tried changing graphics cards and know that the monitor is working properly. There had been a power cut which I suspect is something to do with the problem. I have the computer on a surge protector to minimise power supply problems.

The fans start up on the computer but nothing appears on the screen (not anything at all).

Any idea what might be the problem and how I can go about fixing this.

Daniel

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do you have more than one graphics port on the computer or monitor?

I had something along these lines happen to me. My PC and monitor supported both DVI and VGA cables. I was using the DVI cable at the time and lost signal. When I switched cable and started using the VGA cable, I got a signal to the monitor again. The strange thing is afterward I switched back to the DVI cable and everything worked again.

Do you have another monitor to try on the PC?
Or another PC to try the monitor on?

Testing with more than one PC or monitor, could help isolate the problem area.

Reaction score
Hello,

I did try a second graphics card which didn't work. I know that the monitor is working as it has a self test routine which it goes through. It says it has no video feed. I have also tried both VGA and DVI cables on both graphics cards (Nvidia 570 and 8400).

I am at a loss as to what has happened?

Nevica

Reaction score
Does the computer seem to boot normally or give strange beeping sounds (beep codes)?

Reaction score
Hello,

There is no speaker connected to the MOBO so no beep codes.

It does not boot up at all. So I will remove the battery and clear CMOS. I think that is the way to do it. Do I have to remove the battery as well?

Nevica

Reaction score
Do I have to remove the battery as well?
That is one way to default all CMOS settings. There are other ways but they differ from system to system. Removing the battery is the most common way to reset the system BIOS to default settings.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A surge protector is always a good idea, a UPS is even better but neither can protect you from a lightning strike or from static electricity if you reach into the case.

I have often seen power supply's burn out but since your fans are still working that doesn't seem to be your issue. Quite possible something shorted out on your MOBO or GPU.

Reaction score
Its probably not the the GPU since I have tested with a second one and had the same response. It seems to point towards the MOBO.

Nevica

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we didn't have a lightning strike last night as I would have heard/seen it!!!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well you were getting BSODs so maybe it was just dieing and the power outage put the last nail in the coffin.

Reaction score
Yes, I agree. Unbelievable. I have only had the computer about 3 months. I have not overclocked it or treated it any worse than my previous Intel based computer yet I have had more trouble BSODs than an inferior computer. One expects more from an £900 computer!!

Reaction score
Have you tried with the machine fully off at the wall socket, removing the battery on the board for a minute or two. Replace the battery and see if boot.

You problem sound's like a bios issue and this could solve your problem.

Reaction score
Resetting the CMOS has solved it!!!!! Thanks for all your help.

Ask a Question