Computer freezing and I'm frustrated.

Reaction score
OK - so built a new machine a year ago with a colleague who knows a lot about computers – and I mean a lot! From the start after we loaded Win 7, the machine will suddenly freeze on me for no apparent reason. Sometimes it is when I am working on something; sometimes it is during boot up; sometimes it freezes on rebooting after I have had to restart it from a freeze; sometimes it is when I have started to put it to sleep – there is no rhyme nor reason.

I initially thought it might be a graphic card issue (video was integrated on to mother board) as occasionally there was a slight yellowish blurring of the screen – very slight. So I bought a separate graphics card and ensured the drivers were always up to date – still no change.

I then read somewhere that it might be a registry issue so I was dumb enough to buy “Registry Easy” cleaner. Again no real change after tidying up registry.

Finally found this thread last week and applied fix. However it is still freezing from time to time (maybe not as often) but it still does it.

If this is a win 7 issue – and it seems to be so, then MS have got themselves a real issue here which needs to be addressed.

Waiting patiently for SP1 but will it work? I won’t hold my breath.

For interest the PC specs are:

Motherboard - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
Chipset – AMD Athlon II
Graphics Card - ASUS EAH 4350

Yours truly,

Utterly_Annoyed

(demoralised, disillusioned, disgruntled, dismayed, disappointed - basically totally pi**ed off)

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You might take a look at the ideas presented in THIS thread. Especially check out the hardware issues like memory timing etc that cybercore mentions.

Reaction score
QUOTE: utterly_annoyed "If this is a win 7 issue – and it seems to be so, then MS have got themselves a real issue here which needs to be addressed".

I agree with you, I also think here on this forum you will have a hard time finding many others to agree with you as the general idea around here is that the freezes are due to something YOU did, or something bad YOU installed on your machine. All I can say is, and this comes from the bottom of my heart: I feel your pain.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
the general idea around here is that the freezes are due to something YOU did, or something bad YOU installed on your machine.
Jimmy, in utterly's case it may not be something he/she did - it could have been the colleague :p

Your choices are hardware (including drivers) or software; that's all there is.

Reaction score
OK MrMan, I meant to ask you at some point: Has anyone on this forum come across hardware or software which when removed from the system - stopped the freezing issue? All these helpful people like yourself should have been compiling a list, maybe I have one of these drivers / softwares / hardwares installed which I could try removing..

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are thousands upon thousands of different pieces of hardware and drivers for each one. What causes an issue for one user may not even be installed on your computer. It is also why determining the problem for freezing is very complex, because it is different for most everyone.

There are basic things to try:removing anti-virus software, checking RAM settings, or updating your BIOS and drivers: but those settings and drivers are not the same on each machine. It's very much trial and error.

Reaction score
Hi Jimmy, One of the common ones people suggest to remove if installed is AVG anti-virus. That gets mentioned a lot.
I've just installed 7 on my machine which has hardware a bit over 3 yrs old, on-board graphics and only 2 gig of ram.
I've had no major issues as yet, just finished installing software of all ages up to 5yrs old and so far (fingers crossed) no issue.
I say all this only to show it can work, maybe I was lucky.
I've had a couple of times where it's got itself in a knot at boot-up and some initial internet connection issues but so far so good.

Hope you can find the issue on your machine.

Mike

Ask a Question