Complete those home improvement jobs without fear

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I thought windows 7 was going to do all the home improvements I am wishing for :D

Reaction score
I use table saws. I have even slightly touched the blade before (I was lucky) for a small scratch. I'm gonna have to say I don't even want to try it with the saw stop hardware. I love using such a device, even with the damage done to the saw. I do wonder if the damage to the saw is greater than just the blade and saw stop. I can see this warping the shaft that the blade is mounted on. That would also lead me to think that a whole new saw would be needed after the accident, if there was extensive damage and the cost were high to repair.

My father was changing the blades one day and his pants pocket caught the switch and turned the saw on. Such a saw stop device on this day could have made things worse, while his hand was down in the hole with the blade. He didn't loose anything but a couple of his fingers received permanent damage from the blade cutting across the top of his joints. From that day, we started doing as the instruction manual states and unplugging the machine for blade removal.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
LOL! Now, that's cool!
I am definitly not sticking my hand in a thing like that... :D

My father was changing the blades one day and his pants pocket caught the switch and turned the saw on. Such a saw stop device on this day could have made things worse, while his hand was down in the hole with the blade. He didn't loose anything but a couple of his fingers received permanent damage from the blade cutting across the top of his joints. From that day, we started doing as the instruction manual states and unplugging the machine for blade removal.
Sorry to here that Clifford :(

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I thought windows 7 was going to do all the home improvements I am wishing for :D
Win7 is good but not that good. :)

I've been a carpenter for over 30 years. The first thing I (and almost every guy I've ever worked with) do with a new table saw is remove the anti kick-back attachment that comes with the tool. That thing will take a finger quicker than anything. I have never hurt myself on a table saw and don't know anybody that has. I have all ten fingers and they all have multiple scars from utility knives, planes, framing saws, nail guns, hammers pry-bars and cats-paws not to mention splinters You name it. But get me around the bigger tools and my awareness becomes sharper or something.

In the video they say the hardware will be ruined if it ever needs to activate. I think the cost was about $60.US. I can tell you that blade was probably at least $80.US. I don't know of anybody in the trade that would invest in that as a safety measure. Once OSHA gets their hands on it they may want to make it mandatory. I do think it's a great idea for Joe Homeowner to have in his workshop.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Somebody should edit that video so that at soon as his finger touches the blade we see the BSOD!

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Oh WOW! That dude is BRAVE! I would not stick my finger up to that device for any money, heck I could barely watch him sticking his finger in it without flintching and closing my eyes....awsome idea though.

After almost half-way slicing my thumb off with a super-sharp knife, I still use that same knife but give it WAY more attention when using it now. O_O

Ask a Question