Complete newbie with question

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum, which I sought out because I am fed up with Vista Home Edition. Time and again, it freezes (hangs up, locks me out) when the PC has been left in Sleep or Hibernate mode. So, I was wondering about replacing it with Windows 7.
However, I see from the discussion that freezing is not uncommon in W7. Also, if I were to install W7, do I have to reload all my programs (Photoshop, Illustrator, Capture One etc) and files?
Sorry to ask such mundane questions; I am sure they have been asked millions of times before. However, I would appreciate any comments.

Les

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum.

It is true that some people are experiencing freezes on Win7 but I think you should do it. You should do a clean install and reinstall your programs if you can. The worse that can happen is you'll still have the same problem but more than likely you won't.

I tried upgrading from Vista and did not like the end result. Duplicate folders and the like, that couldn't be removed. The clean install took more time but the end result was a clean system and no problems.

Just my HO. Good luck with your decision and there is plenty of help around here.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum, which I sought out because I am fed up with Vista Home Edition. Time and again, it freezes (hangs up, locks me out) when the PC has been left in Sleep or Hibernate mode. So, I was wondering about replacing it with Windows 7.
However, I see from the discussion that freezing is not uncommon in W7. Also, if I were to install W7, do I have to reload all my programs (Photoshop, Illustrator, Capture One etc) and files?
Sorry to ask such mundane questions; I am sure they have been asked millions of times before. However, I would appreciate any comments.

Les
It is my belief that most of the issues with Windows 7 is that the majority are doing upgrade installs instead of clean installs. Also, some are not loading the proper drivers in the right sequence.

Nearly 99% of all programs will work with Windows 7 whether in 32 bit or 64 bit.

Good luck in whatever you decide. For me personally, Windows 7 x64 is the BEST OS Microsoft has ever put out.

Reaction score
Hello,
The upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium X64 to Windows 7 Home Premium X64
was flawless on the two units that had Vista X64.
Made sure the computers could upgrade to Windows 7, visited the Microsoft site.
Used Acronis True Image to back up drive “C” to an external HD.
Removed large files and folders ( photos, video and music), to the external HD
Did the following: Found Windows 7 updates for programs that were installed.
Removed programs that no updates were available, installed these programs after upgrade.
Removed AV and Malwear programs. Removed programs I no longer use.
Ran “disc clean up tool”, Ccleaner and a Registry optimizer tool. After rebooting
I ran a defrag program.
Then upgraded to Windows 7. Did not allow Windows 7 to go on line until after installation was completed.

From your account you probable need to correct the problems before upgrading or do a clean install.
This assumes that no problem is hardware related.
Wish you well in your endeavor.

Ask a Question