SOLVED Changing versions of Windows 7

Reaction score
Hi,

When I installed Win 7 the day they released it I guess my Toshiba laptop was not ready because the 64 bit version would not install. Now that I have updated all with Toshiba I would like to try to install the 64 bit version. My questions: Do I have to uninstall the 32 bit version before installing the 64 bit version? Do I have to change anything in the BIOS? lastly will that change affect my registration with Windows?
Thank you:)

maglite

Reaction score
Hi maglite - Welcome to w7forums

A Clean install is needed when changing Bit versions. As far as making changes in the system BIOS for Windows 7 install, that depends on the system. Making BIOS changes as far as I am aware will not effect your registration with Microsoft.

Reaction score
You dont have to 'uninstall' the 32bit, but you do have to load the 64bit which will completely wipe out the 32bit version, including all files so be sure to backup all your files to a USB drive, CD or a different drive.

Reaction score
You dont have to 'uninstall' the 32bit, but you do have to load the 64bit which will completely wipe out the 32bit version, including all files so be sure to backup all your files to a USB drive, CD or a different drive.

Thank you very much for the info. Wish me luck

Maglite

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
How did your install go? Were you able to get the x64 version to install?

Reaction score
I have already obtained a 32 bit window 7. Would Toshiba would another 64 window CD for free?

Reaction score
Hi MHLEE - Welcome to w7forums

I have already obtained a 32 bit window 7. Would Toshiba would another 64 window CD for free?
That you will need to ask Toshiba. I think I would be safe to say no one here can answer this question.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you have purchase a windows 7 release, you should have both 64Bit and 32Bit DVD,s Thekey will work in either versions. You can partition and run both side by side. I think it may be illegal to do so, but I don't believe you will be in serious threat from anyone.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It would be advisable for those wanting to run Windows 7 x64 version to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. Then you'll know whether or not your system is capable of running an x64 OS.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
One thing that isn't required but should be changed in the BIOS is the HPET setting. The High Precision Event Timer has a 32bit and 64bit setting, and should be set to match whichever version of the OS is installed. By default it is set to 32bit.

If you have purchase a windows 7 release, you should have both 64Bit and 32Bit DVD,s Thekey will work in either versions. You can partition and run both side by side. I think it may be illegal to do so, but I don't believe you will be in serious threat from anyone.
The key is valid for only one active install, so yes that wouldn't be legal. I suspect it would also cause activation issues with one or both installs, so I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The upgrade advisor should tell you what you can run, however it would be a good idea to call Toshiba to find out, especially if it's under warranty. In no instance, you wouldn't want to put your warranty status at risk.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I would not recommend using the key for two installs, especially on the same computer. You will have problems with validation and activation.

Reaction score
I would not recommend using the key for two installs, especially on the same computer.
Lets just keep it at, It's not legal to have two installs at the same time with a 1 PC license regardless of activation problems. Torrent downloads exist, which we cannot post about because they are illegal. We should also treat the illegal methods the same way.

Ask a Question