Changing Startup Sound

Reaction score
I know that other various forums have covered this, and I used to be able to edit my imageres.dll under system32, but now that I'm using the RTM build of Windows 7 64 bit, it doesn't appear to be editable under PE Explorer or Reshacker. Would it be stable to use my edited back up from an earlier release candidate build to replace my current one? It would be fun having my own custom start sound again.
Thanks in advance for any information :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Maybe this is what you want?

The "sounds" are all in the Windows - Media folder. You can place any .wav files you like in there, and then, You can then choose to customise the start sound through the Control Panel - sound - sounds tab. I think it may be the Windows logon you are looking for?

Reaction score
No, that wasn't what I was looking for. Under the Media folder you could not change the startup sound, unless this has changed between the release candidate and the RTM (which I'm currently using). You may be able to manually change other sounds, with those of your choice (although you can already do that in control panel>sounds)but the startup sound is different. The .wav file for startup is bound in the file imageres.dll. It is the same way in Windows Vista as it is in 7, and in the release candidate of 7 I was able to change this without a problem. So, while this doesn't solve my problem, I appreciate the post anyway. :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Would it be stable to use my edited back up from an earlier release
You could try it Rob and maybe your the first to try it (but i would make a full backup first ... just in case)

Ask a Question