can't print to networked Canon i560 printer

Reaction score
I can't print from my new Windows 7 Home Premium laptop to a Canon i560 printer which is physically attached to a Windows XP pc. There is also a Windows Vista Home Basic laptop which is also wireless and prints ok. I have tried to install the driver (actually, an add-on) which Canon recommends but the problem persists. Surely I don't have to buy a new printer:(

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The windows 7 compatability center says your printer is W7 compatable w/ 32 & 64 bit. I would suggest temporarily plugging the printer directly into your laptop and see if your drivers work (can you print this way?). Once you have the correct drivers, put it back how you want it and if you still have a problem, look at network sharing issues between 7 & XP...
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

Last edited:
Reaction score
I connected the i560 to the Windows 7 laptop via a usb port. Windows Update was unable to find a driver for it and, when I tried to use the installation disc which came with the printer, I got a message that there was no installation file on the disc designed for 64 bit systems.

Reaction score
That is what Canon offers and that is what I dowloaded with no success. As you will see from the link below, this exec file does not contain a driver. I will try the driver they refer to (which is actually for an i850) and let you know result.

Reaction score
I managed to get the i560 to print when connected to Windows 7 via usb. After connecting, I restarted Windows 7 and it proceeded to find the driver and install the printer automatically.
As far as printing to a network i560 is concerned, here is what Canon says:
"The i560 can be installed on your network as a shared printer. However,
this model is not supported by Canon when used with any external print
servers for TCP/IP or wireless printing. We apologize for the
inconvenience this may cause you. This is not to say that the printer
will not function in this type of network environment, just that it is
not supported."
So what do I do now?????????

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Now that you have the proper printer drivers installed your issue is now "networking a printer" ...
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12246/share-a-printer-on-your-network-from-vista-or-xp-to-windows-7/http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9040/how-to-share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-vista/

BTW, if there is anything special you can recall that you did to get W7 to load the driver please post back with that info because Agarwaldvk, in the other i560 thread, is still having trouble getting his to work.

Reaction score
I literally did no more than what I wrote above: connected the printer to a usb port, restarted the laptop; during restart Windows found the printer and installed the driver. Judging by the speed with which this was accomplished, the driver was obviously in Windows 7.
I will check out the networking link in the am. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hello again TrainableMan,
I already tried what that networking article suggests and it does not work. Note that the author assumes 32 bit Windows 7 and mine is 64 bit. That's probably the crux of the problem, don't you think?

Reaction score
I just tried connecting the i560 back to the W7 and printing from the XP. Same problem as vice-versa: the XP detects the printer but can't find a driver :-(

Ask a Question