SOLVED Can't find wi-fi hotspot

Reaction score
I have a PC and a laptop side by side, both connecting through a NetComm wireless modem. Both run W7. The laptop finds my phone hotspot easily, but the PC doesn't find it at all. Can anyone help at all please?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Have you tried updating your wireless adapter driver?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
What's your PC's make and model? Not just "HP Pavilion" but the model number.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Alternatively you can go into Control Panel / Hardware Manager and check the name of the wireless adapter.

Reaction score
It doesn't really have a make and model. Would a screenshot of it's properties help?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Maybe. Just need to know the model of the wireless adapter so I can see if I can find a driver for it.

Meanwhile, have you tried connecting to the hotspot by manually typing in the SSID and passcode instead of having the PC look for it?

Reaction score
I went to Device Manager, selected the adapter (Intel 82578DC) and updated.Windows informed me that the driver is up to date.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
That's the Ethernet controller, not wireless. Are you sure your desktop has wireless?

Reaction score
No, I haven't tried that. But I did try a number of times to set up a new connection, and didn't see anywhere to type that info in.
That's the Ethernet controller, not wireless. Are you sure your desktop has wireless?
Ooh, maybe it doesn't! Excuse my ignorance, please. That was the only item under network adapters, and the laptop does list wireless adapter. Is that something I can buy and plug in?

Reaction score
That looks so simple. The answer to my problem is just a few dollars away. One more question please. I have a Sony tablet which has wireless but not broadband. Would this adapter or something similar extend the tablet's wireless range? I like to take it to my shed, but the connection can be scratchy.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
No, it wouldn't do that. You can use a second router as an access point to extend the range of your wireless network, but how well that works and how easy it is to set up really depends on your experience. If your tablet is an Android device, there are some apps that supposedly boost the wifi reception on your device (see this app and this page for other ideas).

Reaction score
O.K. You have been very patient and helpful, thank you. I'll follow those links when I have broadband again. ( almost finished the dial-up speed days after exceeding miniscule wireless allowance.)

Ask a Question