can't find MS "Works" after installing MS Office Pro 2010

Reaction score
I am using a Toshiba laptop that I purchased brand new approx a month ago. It came with Windows 7.

I recently installed Microsoft Office Pro 2010 and I just noticed that I can't find MS Works. When you install Office Pro 2010 does it delete Works? I am sure my computer had this software at one time.

Is it possible that the Works version was a demo that came with my computer and it was replaced when I installed 2010?

I see under all programs: All Programs> Microsoft Office> Re-install MS Office Pro 2007 Trial -- If I reinstall MS Office Pro 2007 Trial will "Works" come back?

I see in my recycle bin the following: mssefullinstall-amd64fre-en-us-vista=Windows 7
Is this where my MS Works went?

Thanks in advance for any help,
yeto

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Was Office 2010 a trial?

There should be a system restore point created just prior to the office 2010 installation. Try to restore to that point.

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying but if I restore I lose Office Pro 2010 (I have a legit version so it would not be a problem to reinstall) but when I reinstall Pro 2010 I will lose "Works".

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying but if I restore I lose Office Pro 2010 (I have a legit version so it would not be a problem to reinstall) but when I reinstall Pro 2010 I will lose "Works".
I don't know.

If you go to programs and features in the control panel, is works listed (as being installed)?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I recently installed Microsoft Office Pro 2010 and I just noticed that I can't find MS Works. When you install Office Pro 2010 does it delete Works? I am sure my computer had this software at one time.
Yes, when you installed MS Office Pro 2010 it eliminated MS Works.

I see in my recycle bin the following: mssefullinstall-amd64fre-en-us-vista=Windows 7
That is Microsoft Security Essentials installer program

Don't worry about MS Works being removed, it's a very basic piece of software and Microsoft will no longer support it anymore. Your Office Pro 2010 is a MUCH better set of applications.

This is from Wikipedia:

Microsoft Works was an office suite ("home productivity software suite") produced by Microsoft. Smaller, less expensive, and with fewer features than the Microsoft Office suite, its core functionality includes a word processor, a spreadsheet and a database. Newer versions have a calendar application and a dictionary while older releases included a terminal emulator. A 'Works Portfolio' utility offers Microsoft Binder-like functionality.

It was announced in October 2009 that the product will no longer be sold from 2010, and that it will be replaced by an extensively cut-down version of Microsoft Office called Office Starter 2010[1]. Office Starter 2010 only runs on Windows Vista SP1 and above and is only be available to OEMs for preloading on new computers. [2] It lacks a replacement for the Works database although it can open Microsoft Works files.
Stick with Office Pro 2010 you'll be much happier! :)

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I knew some smart mofo would come along and resolve this. :top: I know nothing of either program except I had Works 98 or whatever it was known as back then

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm glad that I didn't install Office 2010 onto my OEM partition (7 Pro), as before I started using (or should I say dabbling) with Office 2010 Pro Plus, MS Works was all that I had. While it's not a premier Office package, it's certainly better than Open Office.

yeto, welcome to the forum! Anytime you need help, always feel free to come back anytime.

Cat

Ask a Question