Cannot wake from 'sleep'

Reaction score
After machine goes to sleep for period of time will not wake. All can do is turn off at mains. Mini dump not accepted when tried to upload

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There isn't really anything in the dump if the machine didn't crash.

For sleep/hibernation to work properly you need the latest BIOS update for your motherboard, check just to be sure you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard. The feature in the BIOS you need is called ACPI.
-also, and this may well be YOUR issue, -
In control panel - device manager check all the Human Interface Devices listed, and all the keyboards and mice ... right-click on each one and any that have a Power Management tab, make sure they are NOT checked to allow the computer to turn off this device to save power and make sure it IS checked to allow this device to wake the computer. Try these two things - they may solve your problem.

In power options\advanced settings, I'm not sure if disabling hybrid sleep will help but you might try doing that if the above doesn't work.

If the problem persists,
In BIOS there may be an ACPI setting you can change. I have seen settings of S1, S3, S1&S3 for this feature and someone suggested if S1&S3 isn't working try just S1 (S1 and S3 are two sleep states with S3 being deeper).

If it still persists,
If you go to control panel - power options you are supposed to be able to control the period of inactivity required before Sleep and Hibernation occur, by setting your own power specifications in advanced settings. Note, the main purpose is to save battery life on laptops (I suppose a second purpose for desktops etc is to save energy, be more green) so you really do WANT it sleeping but I know it's frustrating if it won't wake up.

Finally, mine was responding to the mouse and keyboard and woke up my screen but other stuff seems to not wake properly because my very next action caused my system to freeze so I found if my keyboard action to wake the computer was Ctrl-Alt-Delete then it brought up the windows logoff/switch user menu and from there I could switch user and that cycled all my services and my machine did wake up. This wasn't really great because I essentially logged off and back on but I figure it was cleaner than pressing my power button for a hard shut down. I eventually got frustrated with that and just turned off sleep completely.

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the same problem, but my computer turns the wi fi connection off if I am away from it for long enough for it to go blank, I've changed the time it stays awake from 15 to 30 mins which has helped but it's not really a solution. I can turn it back onby clicking on the icon then clicking connect but it used to stay active all day. Any ideas?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
anna,
Are you saying your computer does wake up but you just have no network?

try going to control panel \ device manager
find your network adapter and right-click
under Power Management tab make sure the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is NOT checked.

Reaction score
No, they were both unchecked. I can't change the Microsoft virtual Wi fi Miniport Adapter as it has this message "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" but from what I read this is a useless device anyway. Any more places i can look?

Reaction score
Hey Beehive03...see the sticky thread on how to post the crash dumps.

Reaction score
Many thanks for your suggestions, found that although the keboad and mouse could wake the machine from sleep the USB HID ports could be sent to sleep, so maybe that is the problem. I have also disabled hybrid sleep as it is only after sleep is quite long, over an hour, that the problem occurs. I am keeping my fingers crossed that all is now well. Will have to find this 'sticky thread' as although it officially did not crash did provide a mini dump nbut it was not able to send, Thank you once again

Reaction score
anna,
Are you saying your computer does wake up but you just have no network?

try going to control panel \ device manager
find your network adapter and right-click
under Power Management tab make sure the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is NOT checked.
Yes, the computer wakes up but I have to click on the wireless icon then click connect to recover the wi fi signal. Not a great problem but it didn't do it last week.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
anna ..
the only things I could find say make sure your video driver is up to date ... yeah it said video, nothing about network. Seems weird but since up to date drivers can't hurt, please check that you have the latest.

There are a lot of sleep issues mentioned here but I can't find solutions ...
http://social.technet.microsoft.com...26-b454-a8208d66fed6) site:microsoft.com&ac=3

Hopefully someone else has an idea because I can't find anything else. :(

Ask a Question