Cannot disconnect external drive

Reaction score
I just got a Dell 8300 XPS. When I try to disconnect my Seagate free-agent go external drive, I keep getting a error message that the device is still in use (even though it's not). I did not have the problem with both my other HP Win 7 computers. I have read and tried several trouble shooting methods that I have read,and stiff cannot get it fixed. Also,when I try to uninstall the driver,the box is not "highlighted" so I cannot do that function. Autoplay comes on when it is connected and I am able to open it with no problem..it's just the disconnecting that is driving me crazy!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You could disable write caching and then you do not need to "safely remove hardware". See HERE.

Or you might try ...

installing a program called Unlocker. Once installed open Windows Explorer and highlight the troublesome drive. Then right-click and pick Unlocker from the context menu. You will see a list of all the locks on the drive. Hit the Unlock All button. Now try to safely remove the hardware.

Reaction score
Just because it's not in use does not mean it's not active. Try Ctl + Alt + Del and check out the applications and process's tabs and see if there is anything associated with Seagate. If so, end the process and then try "safely remove" option.

Ask a Question