SOLVED Cannot associate .txt file with notepad++ for Admin account

W

WindowsGeek42

System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I have 2 types of accounts on my laptop: Administrator (Admin) & Standard User (User)

I installed Notepad++ from the Admin account in the folder C:\Apps\Notepad++.

For the User account, I was able to execute within a Command Prompt window:
.txt=C:\Apps\Notepad++\notepad++.exe
From then on, double clicking on a .txt file in the User account would launch notepad++.

For the Admin account, I repeated the above command within a Command Prompt window. However double clicking on a .txt file in the Admin account does NOT launch notepad++. Instead this dialog box opens: "Choose the program you want to use to open this file". So I click on Browse in this dialog box, navigate to the folder C:\Apps\Notepad++, select notepad++.exe, click on Open. But notepad++ never shows up in the dialog box. I can NOT get Windows 7 to associate .txt files with notepad++ for the Admin account. Note that in the Admin account I CAN navigate in Windows Explorer to the folder C:\Apps\Notepad++, double click on notepad++.exe and Notepad++ launches. So this appears to not be a permission problem in the Admin account??

One other interesting note... If I installed notepad++ to the default folder under C: and NOT to C:\Apps, the above association DOES work for the Admin account but NOT for the User account. Weird. That is why I installed notepad++ to C:\Apps\notepad++ -- I needed .txt files to be associated with notepad++ in the User account since that is where I do most of my work.

Why CAN I launch .txt files with notepad++ in the User account but I can NOT do this in the Admin account?

Can anyone tell me what is going on and how to fix this?

W

WindowsGeek42

I figured it out. For the admin account, but not the user account, the path to notepad++.exe in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/classes/applications/notepad++.exe/shell/open/command
was wrong. I fixed the path and now the Admin account can correctly open txt files with notepad++.

Ask a Question