Can you get a 'wrong' version of WIN 7

Reaction score
I'm awaiting delivery of an un-opened (supposedly) full retail, legit version of Win 7 ultimate.
The seller (ebay) has now contacted me and asks for a return of the item with a full refund to me as his supplier has advised them that it's a version only for companies/businesses.

This all sounds a bit suss to me, especially given that (until I raised the matter) the seller was still advertising similar items but for a lot more then I paid.

I'll wait and see when I get the package. It is advertised as Genuine WIN7 ultimate with Certificate of Authenticity.
However also said (in the ad. Made in China) but given that most PC and Apple stuff is made in China I did not think that that in itself meant it is a fake.

My thoughts are the seller just wants more money but to give them a fair hearing is it possible there is a version not suitable for my PC?

Mychael

Reaction score
Windows 7 Ultimate is not a version only for companies/businesses. Anyone can purchase this version and use it.

All sales are final. If you have a Certificate of Authenticity, do not send it back. Their problem is not your problem. They should have known what they were selling.

Reaction score
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Also as it has something like 35 language options, there could be no way it was not in English would there ?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The seller (ebay) has now contacted me and asks for a return of the item with a full refund to me as his supplier has advised them that it's a version only for companies/businesses.
The ONLY version I know of in the Windows 7 family for companies or businesses is the Enterprise version. It's basically the same as Windows 7 Ulitmate.

Go to this link to view the differences:
Windows 7 Product Editions: A Comparison

I just hope the seller doesn't screw you around and cancel the Product Key. I wonder how it's packaged though.

Reaction score
That we'll have to wait and see. If it's sealed original box I should be safe.
After I told the seller I was passing on the messages to ebay, the seller removed all other software listings they had, told me I could open and try the program.

I don't think there would be a way for them to cancel the product key of a sealed item is there?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Sounds like you called his bluff! BTW, how much did it cost you for this? Just curious.

Reaction score
$158 Australian. Free postage. Update.. JUST NOW, item has changed to 'posted' on my ebay records.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You came out decently on that deal, although you rarely pay full price for software on eBay. They have more Ultimate versions for sale than all others combined. I don't know how Australian dollars convert into ours, but it's not too far off. I bought a couple of XP Pro OS's (legit) from a seller there awhile back. I used to do a few installs of XP every month, it was a good source of money for me, but XP is slowly dying. I haven't done a paid install since January, where I used to do 8 to 10 a month. The last one I did was a VM install with Win 2K in it. But for a dying OS, XP Pro (SP3) brings high dollars, sometimes higher than Windows 7 does. Anyway, you came out good, if you really want to know if your system is legit or not, you can click onto Microsoft's site, they have a "how to tell" site, mainly the way your COA appears, the way those silver colored "threads" run, and if the disc has a sticker or not. Genuine Windows does not have "stickers" on the discs, the writing is embedded into the disc. And the manual, look for a lot of misspelled words, those are ways you can tell. But eBay does have a anti-counterfeit policy, if you're a victim, your money is refunded. I got two bad XP Pro OS's, but I lost nothing. Out of the thousands of OS's sold on a daily basis, most are good. If they weren't, they would go bankrupt issuing refunds. Hope your install goes well.

Reaction score
Thanks, Assuming I actually get it. I did get in the mail today a copy of XP SP3 for Aus $56.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
$158 Australian. Free postage. Update.. JUST NOW, item has changed to 'posted' on my ebay records.
For those interested:

Currency Conversion
US Dollar: 111.26
Australian Dollar: 158
British Pound: 62.11
Canadian Dollar: 146.06
Euro: 92.52
Japanese Yen: 12,190.73
Russian Rouble: 3,251.01
Swiss Franc: 142.69

I would say you got that OS for "dirt cheap" to say the least. I certainly hope that all goes well with this purchase for you.

There's an old saying we used in the building materials business which holds true for a lot of items people purchase:

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Anonymous

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
How true, Nibiru! I've heard that saying somewhere before.

Reaction score
The XP pro is dinky di. Sealed in it's package and with product key. OEM but that's no issue, it's the same as the last XP PRO I bought from a retail shop.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Most likely, the program is fine, out of around 80 or so that I bought on eBay, only 2 were counterfeit, and my money was promptly refunded by eBay. There are some who doesn't like to shop there, but I (and the ones who I installed for) save a lot of cash buying there. I charge only $40 for a complete install, $50 for dual boot. But with the decline of XP, I haven't done a paid install since January. I'm waiting for some Windows 7 users to come, but with recovery partitions, I'll have a long wait. One person did come to me wanting me to reinstall 7, but I've known him for years, and he didn't know the partition existed. So I showed him how to do it for free. I need to learn a lot more about computers, other than installing OS's, if I intend to make any money in it.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I charge only $40 for a complete install, $50 for dual boot
Hmmm... glad I'm in Austin then. I get $125 for a single install and $175 for a dual-boot setup.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Well, I don't know about you, but I don't advertise, just by word of mouth, I got going at this. Where I really made my money was with Linux installs, most of their OS's detect all hardware, eliminating the need for driver discs, and fast installs. But with 7 on a roll, there's lack of interest in Linux, too. What I don't do is install 7 on older computers (except mine), because I don't want to hear a bunch of "chin music" of how I screwed up their computer. 7 is a great OS, but it doesn't look as good on a computer built to run XP or below, without some serious hardware upgrades. I've had a few of these offers, but I politely decline. The last one was saying that XP was looking dead, and that 7 would revive it. I had a diagnostic disc for his laptop, but he would have no part of that. And got pissed at me, because I offered him the chance to find out what was wrong. Oh, well. When the money was to be made (with XP), I made it. I'll learn another way to make extra cash again, I just need a little time.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I just advertise on Craigslist and word of mouth. I don't need to spend $$ on ads.

Reaction score
Well the Win 7 arrived today. It was still shrunk sealed. the disk (should there be two) has the correct holgram but also has fingermarks on it. Not what you expect for a new disk. Also says 32bit software.
External box does not say "upgrade" but on disk label says 'licensed for distribution only with new pc".
COA labels seem to be correct. Bottom of box says 'DVD-included 32- and 64-bit discs (pleural) inside. But only one disk.

Soooo, what does everyone think???

Mychael

Reaction score
That box has been opened. There is supposed to be two disk, one 32-Bit and one 64-Bit. The label stating "licensed for distribution only with new PC", suggest it is an OEM version not Retail which should be in the box. You need to report this to eBay.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Email eBay's resolution center at once, Mychael. What you're describing is "not as described", and you're entitled for a refund, based on that alone. Probably someone returned it, and resold it. A professional can easily "shrink wrap" an item, I've heard of them being done with those Food Savers. That is OEM software, it's supposed to come with a part (usually broken), a power cord or RAM stick.

Ask a Question