Can you get a 'wrong' version of WIN 7

Reaction score
Well I might have already mentioned that the seller was asking me to return it even before it arrived, saying it was for a company install. I thought he just wanted to resell it for more money. This however is a totally different set of affairs.

I'll get my money back then return it. As if nothing else I want the 64bit capability.

Reaction score
Update. Seller has already refunded into PAYPAL account. The entire thing is still suss with various excuses given.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
For what you spent, you can get the OEM Professional version 64 bit for roughly the same amount of money.

Does Amazon or Newegg ship to down under? Have you checked local computer stores or big box retailers?

I know here in the States us Yanks can get OEM Pro versions for around $125 and usually the only requirement is to buy a piece of hardware.

One time I bought a SATA cable along with the Windows XP and that was good enough.

Reaction score
Yeah, tried our shops over here for OEM. Best quote I got was well over $300, Even close to $200 for XP PRO.
Have not heard of Newegg, have bought books through Amazon but did not know they did software.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Update. Seller has already refunded into PAYPAL account. The entire thing is still suss with various excuses given.
The main thing is that you got your money back fast. If you're asked to return the software or whatever, you should do so, and look for another purchase. It is best to stick to sellers (on eBay) with several thousand transactions, and at least a 98% rating, the higher, the better. But there are other sources, as Nibiru pointed out. Newegg, Tiger Direct & Amazon are good, too. However, I'm used to doing business on eBay, but you must do your homework, and checkout the sellers ratings & # of transactions. This is critical for a satisfactory purchase. When I bought my external drive recently, there was a 640GB one, same model and all, it was new, $15 less, but the seller had only four transactions. I paid $79 for a 500GB one, but the seller had over 3,000 transactions with a 100% rating. That means a lot.

Reaction score
Please note that Mychael is in Melbourne. Newegg, Tiger Direct and (I believe) Amazon don't ship to Australia. At least not readily, that is. ;)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thrax, thanks for making us aware of that. I know that some companies don't ship internationally, but I didn't know that they don't.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Please note that Mychael is in Melbourne.
Yeah, I knew that that's why I said: ship to down under

You can download copies of Home Premium and Professional here: https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links-t2910.html

I don't know where you can get DL of Ultimate though.

The download links are the Full Retail ISO images you can burn to a DVD.

You could just buy a key a eBay though, and get sent via email.

Pro version is quite extensive, just doesn't have a few features of Ultimate.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've bought books and stuff from Amazon overseas so maybe they will do software as well. I have download limits so something as large as windows & might not be too good for me but I'll take a look. Does it work out cheaper that way?

Reaction score
I've looked at Newegg, their prices seem good but even before I start it's a hassle, cant seem to navigate their webpage to get an actual email address to ask if they ship overseas. All I get is those annoying ' tick the box of your particular problem ' type links.
Amazon I'm pretty sure would ship but with rate of exchange factored in they only seem to be about $60 dollars cheaper then getting it over here.

Reaction score
Just got a reply from Newegg. Quite fast. Not what I'm used to when contacting companies. Unfortunately they don't sell or ship to Australia.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've bought books and stuff from Amazon overseas so maybe they will do software as well. I have download limits so something as large as windows & might not be too good for me but I'll take a look. Does it work out cheaper that way?
Mychael, it works out a lot cheaper. You can purchase keys for Pro for as little as $20 on eBay. Pro or Home Premium 64 bit is a 3GB download. Keys for both run about the same, from $20 to $50 (US prices). You just need to look at the seller's ratings. And after the preview of the item, scroll down, you will usually see a series of Q's & A's. You can get support from Microsoft with these keys, however most are intended to be installed on one computer only, for the life of the key. I had to call them over an issue with mine, I had activated it over 10 times, you must call Microsoft after that. These listings are not a secret from Microsoft, there's thousands sold daily. As far as a 64 bit XP goes, I just looked, there were several up for bid. Hope this helps.

Ask a Question