BUG_USB_DRIVER - Windows 7 RC1 Install Issue

Reaction score
When my computer reaches the end of the first section of the RC1 (64-bit) install, it doesn't reboot when it says it will. Instead, it sits for a while, and then gives me an error (BSOD) with the error code BUG_USB_DRIVER.

The only USB device I have plugged in is the receiver for my (MIcrosoft) wireless keyboard and mouse.

If I reboot the computer, it continues with the install but gets stuck at the Completing installation stage.

Anybody have any ideas?

My Specs:

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
Athlon 64 X2 5200+
4GB Crucial RAM

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you have a PS/2 keyboard you can use temporarily? If so, try disabling onboard USB and use a PS/2 keyboard/mouse until it's fully installed and then try switching back to the USB wireless combo.

You could also try switching the USB port you use. If you've got it plugged into a rear port, try one of the ones on the front of your case (or vise versa).

Reaction score
Sadly I have no other keyboards/mice, being as I am away at university.

Changing the port's an interesting idea, though... I might give that a try unless someone comes up with another idea, it does sound a bit farfetched.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, it's worth a shot - but because the problem won't even let you complete the install there's not too much you can do :( It might be worth going through the BIOS and see if you have any USB related options in there (such as forcing USB 1.1 etc...).

Reaction score
I know my BIOS has the following 3 USB options:

USB Controller (1.1)
USB 2.0 Controller
USB Legacy Devices - (unhelpful, disables USB keyboard support).

At the moment, all three are enabled.

Any ideas as to whether changing these might help?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Any ideas as to whether changing these might help?
If you swap ports and restrict it to USB 1.1 only you stand a better chance - give it a go and see if it works. It wouldn't surprise me if that does the trick :)

Fingers crossed for you! :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm out of ideas unfortunately, but perhaps someone else here has experienced this before and will be able to help :)

Reaction score
It is very strange, I can't quite see why it should happen. Thanks for your help, I might have to just stick to Vista for now...

Reaction score
Right, a development.

My motherboard has a RealTek USB Wireless receiver soldered onto one of the internal USB headers, as a way of having integrated wireless. I'm now almost certain that this is what is causing the issue, but you can't disable it in the BIOS and obviously you can't remove it.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get around the problem?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Reaction score
I will try that, barring any issues with updating (no floppy drive...), but I think as it's effectively plugged into an internal USB port, I don't think (short of disabling USB altogether, which isn't useful for mice and keyboards) that there will be any way to turn it off.

I guess I'll step up my upgrade schedule!

Reaction score
Right, this problem is now resolved. It was caused by my (as it turns out, hopeless) Hauppauge Nova-T 500 TV tuner, which is a USB based PCI card. Removing it stops the install errors, and also solves other problems with both Windows 7 and Windows Vista! A piece of rubbish, is the only sensible conclusion.

Many thanks for your attempts to help me with this!

Reaction score
did you try putting the tv card back in and install its software, or is does it just conflict with windows still? but nice to know you have it resolved, and buggy add-on cards can be a nuisence.

Reaction score
I did put it back in, but then the computer didn't sleep properly, the TV tuner worked once and then when I rebooted refused to again, and on shutting down the computer hangs at the "Shutting Down" screen. The sleep and shutdown problems were resolved immediately by removing the tuner!

Reaction score
wow, that is strange must be something wrong with the TV tuners, hardware/drivers to be causing such conflict between that and the OS. i assume your not going to put it back in?

Reaction score
fair enough, was it pricey. do you live in the UK, if so where did you buy it from?

Reaction score
Yeah, I do live in the UK. It was quite pricey, £98 inc VAT and delivery, but I spent £50 on the last one and it was rubbish, so I wanted something quality. I spoke to someone at the company who answered all my questions about it, and assured me if there was anything I didn't like they'd give me a full refund.

They also have Windows 7 compatible drivers available, it has a PCI Express x1 interface, comes with low and full-profile brackets in the box and has only one aerial in port rather than one per tuner, all of which I was looking for, so I think it's worth the money.

The card I bought is here.

Reaction score
very nice, at least it will do what you want it to, unlike your first one!!!

Ask a Question