BSOD with skype?

Reaction score
Hi,
I get a bsod (0x0000003b) caused by file ks.sys whenever I started Skype or its installation. I have tried to completely remove and reinstall but with no avail. I also tried a portable version of Skype but the same thing occurs. It happens while Skype is loading. I was thinking it was a webcam driver problem but I was able to use the webcam on chrome, so I don't know. I only get it with Skype and everything else seems fine.

HP Pavilion g4
AMD Turion II P560 Dual-core
4.00GB RAM
Mobility Radeon HD 4200

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Welcome to the W7Forums.

My sincere apologies for the delay.

Have you run HP Support assistant to ensure that your system is up to date?

Reaction score
Everything is updated according to HP Support except the bios, which it is erroneously stating that it is not updated although it is the same version number (F.66) that I currently have (I have previously done this update and it was successful, but it keeps reappearing in HP support for some reason).

Shintaro

Reaction score
Have you downloaded the latest version of Skype?

Reaction score
Yes, the BSOD first happened when I clicked Skype and it began automatically downloading and installing the new update. After that I tried uninstalling it and downloading the new version manually but the same thing occurred.

Reaction score
Ok I have another issue which is that I can't uninstall Skype because it says the 'installed product does not match the installation source' and will not uninstall. Previously, I just deleted all the files and tried re-installing and that's when I got the BSOD.
On safe mode I tried uninstalling and it gave me an error saying that the installation source is not available, but not the same one I got in normal mode. Also, I tried the installation in safe mode and it did not give me the blue screen, instead it gave me windows installer error 1601. So it appears to be my windows installer messing up?
However, I successfully used the portable version of Skype made by portableapps without a problem on safe mode. (except that the sound and webcam services were not on for some reason. safe mode turns that off?) When I had tried using the portable version on normal mode it had given me the BSOD.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Below is from the Skype website.

Reference Source is HERE.

The following steps work for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 and above.

1. Close Skype and make sure that Skype is no longer running.
  2. If you need to, save your personal information. Your contacts, purchases and account information are stored on our servers, but other personal files such as chat messages, voice messages and video snapshots taken during video calls, are only saved on your computer. To keep this personal information, you need to make a copy of it:
    1. On your keyboard, press the Windows and R keys to open the Run dialog.
    2. Type %appdata%\skype and click OK.

3. Copy the Pictures folder and the folder with your Skype Name to another location, such as your desktop.
  3. Uninstall Skype.
    2. Type appwiz.cpl and click OK.

3. Right-click Skype in the list that appears and select Remove or Uninstall.

4. Delete the Skype application folder:
    2. Type %appdata% and click OK.
    3. Delete the Skype folder.
  5. Make sure that the Skype program folder has been deleted:
    1. Go to C:\Program Files (in Windows 8 and above, go to C:\Program Files (x86)).
    2. Delete the Skype folder and the SkypePM folder (if present).
  6. Delete any Skype entries from the Registry:
    2. Type regedit and click OK. This launches the Registry Editor.
    3. In the Registry Editor's Edit menu, click Find.

4. Search for the keyword Skype and click Find Next.

5. Use right-click to delete all the search results (there can be up to 50).
  7. Download and install the latest version of Skype.
    Get help
    with installing Skype.
  8. Restore your personal information if you saved it:
    1. Make sure Skype is not running. To close Skype from the taskbar, right-click the Skype status icon and select Quit.

2. On your keyboard, press the Windows and R keys to open the Run dialog.
    3. Type %appdata%\skype and click OK.
    4. Copy the two folders you previously saved into this folder.

Reaction score
Yes I have been trying to uninstall from add and remove programs but it gives me the error, so I just went ahead and removed the folders manually.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Yes, but did you follow ALL the steps and remove it from the registry?

Reaction score
Ok, I made sure I deleted everything in registry. I tried installing again. This time it got through the installation but then as soon as it tries to start up Skype after installation the same BSOD occurred.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Please enable Driver Verifier that will enable us to locate the culprit.

Driver verifier

The Driver Verifier tool that is included in every version of Windows since Windows 2000 it is used to detect and troubleshoot many driver issues that are known to cause system corruption, failures, or other unpredictable behavior.

***FIRST: Please backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Windows 7 Startup Repair feature.)
  1. Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
  2. Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
  3. Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
  4. Select:
    ---- Special Pool
    ---- Pool Tracking
    ---- Force IRQL Checking
    ----Deadlock Detection
    ---- Security Checks (Windows 7 & 8)
    ---- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
    ---- Miscellaneous Checks
  5. Click "Next"
  6. Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
  7. Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
  8. Select "Finish" on the next page.
Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.

How Long should I wait for a crash?

- If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

How do I turn Driver Verifier off?!

- Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page.

- Or press the Windows Key + R, and type in "verifier /reset" (Without the quotes)

- Then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post. then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

I can't get in to Windows, what do I do?

- If Windows will not start and get to a login screen or desktop, because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.

- If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

How do I put the crash dump files in a Zip file?

Instructions on putting files in a Zip file and extracting (Taking them out) again are explained HERE.

Reaction score
Was a resolution to this issue found? I tried ALL of the above. I was able to get an older version of Skype to run 3.8.0.188 but it wanted to update. So I did : (. Still got the BSOD. I've uploaded my crash file and the driver verifier is still running.
Any help would be appreciated.
HP

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Hi,

Look at post number #12, you need to enable Driver Verifier so that I can dig in and find the problem.
Also please start a new thread.

Code:
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff88003ba815a, fffff880096abe30, 0}
Probably caused by : ks.sys ( ks!KspPropertyHandler+2ea )
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff88003e1a15a, fffff8800a005e30, 0}
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff88003c1a15a, fffff88009ccae30, 0}

Reaction score
Hi,

Look at post number #12, you need to enable Driver Verifier so that I can dig in and find the problem.
Also please start a new thread.

Code:
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff88003ba815a, fffff880096abe30, 0}
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff88003e1a15a, fffff8800a005e30, 0}
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff88003c1a15a, fffff88009ccae30, 0}
Hmmm. I went through the steps in 12 and clicked finish. I expected it to do something when it crashed, but it didn't. I will try again and start a new thread.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Step 12 enables more debugging information for us in the crash files.
Please start a new thread and up load any new crash dump files.

Ask a Question