SOLVED BSOD with ntoskrnl.exe

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been getting a TON of BSODs which according to BlueScreenView are being caused by ntoskrnl.exe. This seems to happen whenever the computer goes idle for too long/sleeps, never when I'm actively using it. Also, once the computer restarts it will go idle again eventually, which causes multiple BSODs at night if I forget to shut it off. I haven't tinkered with the computer in terms of upgrades or hardware at all, and I have no idea how to, so if your solution involves dismantling of some kind please link to an article letting me know how.

I'm attaching the minidumps as well. If you need any more, let me know. Thank you guys so much I've just been at my wit's end over this!

EDIT: I just checked over a bunch of the .dmp files in BlueScreenView, and I am also occasionally getting errors for NETwNs64.sys, Sftfslh.sys, and tcpip.sys, always with the ntoskkrnl.exe error. For the first error, I am updating my Intel driver as we speak. Haven't gotten to the other two yet but if you have suggestions let me know.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ---
System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
System Model PORTEGE R835
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2301 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date TOSHIBA Version 2.70, 5/20/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\windows
System Directory C:\windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name ---
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.91 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.50 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.81 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.10 GB
Page File Space 3.91 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Attachments

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Looks like you have made a good start to understanding what is going wrong.

I would strongly suggest that you go to Toshiba's web site and download, install ALL the drivers and BIOS.

A lot of problems are because of old drivers.

Let us know how you get on.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Unfortunately you will need to check each category and get the latest driver for your version of Windows. It's a pain in the neck, I know, but it really is the best way to start fixing your problem.

Look at the list on that site, you will see BIOS under the Category column.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Alright, so I think I've downloaded all the drivers as well as the BIOS and I'm still getting crashes. Here are my latest .dmp from today. Thanks again for the help so far!

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
All the mini dumps report that Netwsw00.sys is the problem.

You said that you re-installed the wireless driver. Is that the one from the Toshiba site?
Can you please tell me the model number of your wireless device.

Shintaro

Reaction score
This is interesting from the mini dump:
Netwsw00 Netwsw00.sys Tue Mar 13 08:06:43 2012
(Because it is a recent date)

May I suggest that you completely remove (Uninstall) the wireless driver, reboot, then re-install the wireless driver.

Reaction score
The wireless driver as in the Intel driver I talked about in the first post? It's listed as an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000. I downloaded it from the Intel site. Let me try what you just said.

Reaction score
Ok, so my laptop restarted and obviously it couldn't connect to the internet, so it automatically downloaded the needed driver by itself, one called Intel Wifi Link 1000 BGN #2. I think I downloaded the wrong driver from the Intel site, maybe? I do notice that this driver it downloaded has the same driver version # as before I tried to update it, which is 14.0.2.2

Here's the one I downloaded

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det... (64-bit)*&DownloadType=Software Applications

Last edited:
Reaction score
Pretty sure it is, yeah. I closed the lid to force it to sleep and it wouldn't wake back up, which is also one of the problems I get right before the BSOD. I'll let it idle tonight and get back to you tomorrow.

Reaction score
Yep, it's still doing it. Though my laptop made it through the night without BSODing, it happened twice this morning. At least the frequency of BSODs is going down? Here's the latest two dumps. Thanks and sorry this hasn't been easy to solve!

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Could you please get the version information for "NETwNs64.sys" from your system.

I'm just having a look at the Intel site now.

Very Interesting all are causing:

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
A driver is causing an inconsistent power state.

14/5 (Post #1) Fault = NETwNs64.sys
NETwNs64 NETwNs64.sys Wed Jan 05 06:29:41 2011

16/5 (Post #5) Fault = Netwsw00.sys
Netwsw00 Netwsw00.sys Tue Mar 13 08:06:43 2012
(Driver updated from Intel)

17/5 (Post #12) Fault = NETwNs64.sys
NETwNs64 NETwNs64.sys Wed Jan 05 06:29:41 2011
(Driver updated from Toshiba)

Shintaro

Reaction score
Could you please goto the Intel site and download:
Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Administrators 5/2/2012 (Version) 15.​1.​1
OS: Windows 7 (32-bit)*, Windows 7 (64-bit)*, Windows .

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...oductProduct=Intel®+Centrino®+Wireless-N+1000

Download it first, unzip it, then uninstall the old driver.
Reboot.
Don't let it install anything.
Then you install the driver (DPInst64.exe) that you downloaded and unzipped.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The driver version is currently 14.0.2.2, for my Wifi Link 1000 BGN #2. I checked the driver details and this is definitely the NETwNs64.sys one.

Reaction score
Okay, I'll go download it

EDIT: Okay, did as you said, uninstalled and rebooted then installed the new version. The network adapter name is now Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 15.1.1.1. I'll let you know how it goes! Thank you!

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Could you please tell me the version of NETwNs64.sys now that youhave applied that update.

Reaction score
It's 15.1.1.1. And no BSODs! I'll wait a couple of days and if nothing happens, I'll mark the thread as solved. And thank you so much! I was worried that I was going to have to take my laptop in for an expensive repair that I can't afford right now. This has been really great of you.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Not a problem. I am happy to be able to help.

The good thing now is that you have learnt something which you can now help your friends and save their computer.:)

Reaction score
The BSODs are back :(

Didn't get any for a couple of days, and then bam--another bunch of them. I've uploaded the newest dump files.

I may have a lead on the problem though--I was working on Excel when suddenly my screen went black and came on again. I got a message that was something like, "The Intel Graphics Accelerator driver has stopped working but successfully recovered." I looked at the Intel display drivers but there are quite a few so I'm not sure what I need to download or update.

Thanks again for all your help!

Attachments

Ask a Question