BSOD playing fullscreen Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Really hoping someone can help me with this, its been driving me crazy for over a week now.

Completely fresh install win 7 32bit, no drivers installed I can play full screen flash (hulu/youtube etc) without issue (using stock windows vga driver)

The second i install nvidia display driver and launch anything flash full screen, I BSOD or just reboot. (started happening in games too)

I've tried several nvidia drivers (an older version, the latest stable and the newest beta) with no luck.

I finally got it to write me a minidump file, so here's that

Also, note that with all the latest drivers for all my hardware I get the same error, with a fresh install no drivers except video, i get the error, ran mem test with 0 errors, I think this has to be a driver / card problem. if anyone can make sense of the dump file an point me in the right direction, I'd really, really appreciate it.

Brand new build:
amd phenon II 955
gigabyte 880GA-UD3H (with latest bios)
4gb patriot ddr3
evga gtx465 oc
intel 80gb ssd

Attachments

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Hi youkay1 and welcome to the forum.
I can't help you with you Bee SODs but v. v. soon the main man (Torrent G) will spot your thread and set you right. Meanwhile this little utility will help you to read a crash dump file (There's a freeware version).

Reaction score
Thanks for the Tool!

unfortunatley, it didn't give me much to go on:

Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 10/3/2010 3:57:36 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xC0000005, 0x82C7AEFE, 0x960328D8, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100310-8736-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Thanks for the Tool!

unfortunatley, it didn't give me much to go on:
Aah! Now I didn't say you would understand it did I? But at least you can read it! As I say Torrent G will spot this and put you right, he's US based and I haven't got a clue what time it is there at the moment (haven't got a clue what time it is here in the UK for that... :eek: EEK!! 6 a.m!!).

Reaction score
haha. I appreciate any and all help i can get with this issue, its driving me up the wall!!

Reaction score
Hey there...

Type systeminfo in a command prompt then press enter to see with Realtek lan you have. If it's 8111, use the following link to update. If anything else, search the left side of the link for you number:

Rt86win7 Rt86win7.sys Thu Feb 26 04:04:22 2009

RTL8111

----------

Your beta video driver may in fact be the culprit. Use Driver Sweeper to remove all traces of NVIDIA video drivers and settings, in safe mode. Then install the latest WHQL driver from here, after booting to normal mode:

NVIDIA

Reaction score
Thanks so much for looking into this torrentg.

I did those steps (my realtek lan was listed as 8111D in systeminfo, now it just says realtek gigbyte lan with no numbers)

unfortunately I just bsod about 50 seconds into a full screen hulu movie. this time i got a different bsod, listing the actual file: nvlddmkm.sys, then some letters/numbers gibberish.

One thing i've discovered since investigating is my PSU has multiple 12v rails at 24amps, my graphics card says it requires a minimum of 38amp 12v rail

could this have anything to do with it? people on the overclocker forum don't think so but im completely stumped right now.

thanks again for all your help!

Reaction score
it didn't write one :(

i've forced 4bsod since and it just says "preparing...."

but never goes past that far

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Thanks so much for looking into this torrentg.

I did those steps (my realtek lan was listed as 8111D in systeminfo, now it just says realtek gigbyte lan with no numbers)

unfortunately I just bsod about 50 seconds into a full screen hulu movie. this time i got a different bsod, listing the actual file: nvlddmkm.sys, then some letters/numbers gibberish.

One thing i've discovered since investigating is my PSU has multiple 12v rails at 24amps, my graphics card says it requires a minimum of 38amp 12v rail

could this have anything to do with it? people on the overclocker forum don't think so but im completely stumped right now.

thanks again for all your help!
The nvlddmkm.sys is your video driver it cant hurt to re-install a fresh copy. As to the exact power consumption and requirements if you give us the exacts specs we can tell you

When upgrading your graphic driver you MUST remove all traces of the current driver. In order to do that we recommend using http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

When it is removed then download and install the fresh copy.

Ken J

Reaction score
The nvlddmkm.sys is your video driver it cant hurt to re-install a fresh copy. As to the exact power consumption and requirements if you give us the exacts specs we can tell you

When upgrading your graphic driver you MUST remove all traces of the current driver. In order to do that we recommend using http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

When it is removed then download and install the fresh copy.

Ken J
Hey zig,

I've actually installed a fresh os about 10 times so far and had fresh installs of each and every nvidia driver available including old, new, beta and current with the exact problem, each time on a fresh OS install. i just did the driversweep in safemode, tried again and still no joy.

I will keep forcing bsod's till it writes me a new dump file

Thanks again for the help!

Reaction score
Yes, based on your description, definite power requirement problem.

Only the latest version of the WHQL driver is necessary and if that is messing up, then you must upgrade your power supply.

Reaction score
i just got a new bsod, this time with a huge 200mb memory.dmp file.

never seen this one before, bad_spool_something or something, i was too hasty to get back into windows to upload the dmp file, i didnt pay too much attention.

I'm now 95% i need a new power supply. will go get one in the am and report back. thanks again!!!!

Reaction score
The saga continues.

installed a new high end corsair psu, BSOD still persists. (i did a fresh OS install and used latest nvidia drivers etc)

wrote me another mini dump, and windows gave me this message

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 7f
BCP1: 0000000000000008
BCP2: 0000000080050031
BCP3: 00000000000006F8
BCP4: FFFFF80002CCB12B
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 7f
BCP1: 0000000000000008
BCP2: 0000000080050031
BCP3: 00000000000006F8
BCP4: FFFFF80002CCB12B
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Attachments

Reaction score
Nah, saga doesn't continue...

This crash doesn't involve video at all.

Type systeminfo in a command prompt, press enter and look for your Realtek lan number.
If it's 8111, update from the following link. If anything else, search the number on the left side:

Rt64win7 Rt64win7.sys Thu Feb 26 04:04:13 2009

RTL8111

----------

Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and delete the following then reboot:

adfs adfs.SYS Thu Jun 26 16:52:37 2008

-----------

PC will be fine after these two things.

Reaction score
did both of those steps.

tried full screen flash and didn't bsod, it just froze and outputted some random noise in my speakers, had to hard power down to reboot and no dump files :(

Thanks for helping me with this, its truly the most frustrating thing ever.

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if your pc suffered some kind of power spike or surge...

Since you've put the new psu in, there have been no video bsods or related, which is good in that aspect...

But the unfortunate news is that I'm quite sure your memory (RAM) is defective. All of your drivers are really good right now and the only reason these bsods could be happening is because the RAM is malfunctioning.

Test overnight with Memtest86+ or until errors show. When they do show, replace the RAM to repair the machine.

Reaction score
I ran memtest for about 14 hours in total the day before yesterday with 0 errors. I also used the windows memory diagnostics tool with 0 errors.

I think i have a bad mobo

Reaction score
I think it's probably the RAM still. If it was a bad motherboard, Memtest would still show errors all the same. Many times, modules do not start showing errors until they are tested one at a time with all other removed. So that's what you should do...test one for a while and if it shows well, then test the next by itself etc...

It's possible that you have blown caps on the motherboard...then Memtest probably would not show errors...but then you'd be getting reboots while running Memtest.

Perhaps enable Driver Verifier and post crashes after doing that:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/mic...t/473665-driver-verifier-windows-7-vista.html

Usually not very helpful because I know all drivers anyhow...but it may show something I'm just not seeing. (Not so likely, but still.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question