Win 7-32/64 bit Dual Boot RAM Usage Issues

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new here and I'm not sure if I can, or how to resolve this issue. I've got Windows 7, both 32 & 64 bit dual booted on an Asus M3A78-CM mobo, 6 GB RAM @ 800MHz, AMD Phenom II x3 @ 2.3 GHz over clocked to 3.0 GHz. When I'm using the 32-bit system my RAM usage is 3.25 Gb, which I expected, but the 64-bit drive shows the full 6 Gb and says nothing about the usage amount. I haven't noticed a change in load times. Is there a way to be certain that the system is taking advantage of the full 6 Gb? I feel like I'm missing out on the full potential of the system.

Any ideas? I'll take all the help I can get.

Reaction score
Hello there,

Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.
Additionally, you will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP
I hope that helps you out!
You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

Ask a Question