Big Big problem!!!

Reaction score
Hey guys i installed windows 7, and loved it!! Iv just got back in from work and found out that the mrs has stuck the old vista premium disc in and installed over windows 7 :mad::mad:.
Now its gobbled up almost all my c drive (im left with 30gig) also i now see there is a windows old folder containg all previous stuff from when i first got my pc!! Plus all my flightsim x stuff is in the windows old folder, now unable to load. Is there a way to roll it back as i tried system restore but that just gives me a vista update!! My only other option is just to wipe the whole c drive and start over!!!! and you know thats an all day job!!:dontknow:

Cheers guys Danny!!!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
First off, I'd back up anything important just to make sure you don't lose anything. Then, boot the Windows 7 CD and go to the advanced repair options, and then choose the command prompt.

From there, you can rename the Vista folders to something else temporarily:

"ren Windows Windows.vista" etc...

And then you can rename the directories ending in ".old" back to their origional state:

"ren Windows.old Windows", "ren Program Files.old Program Files" etc...

Once this is done, you'll need to repair the boot information - the easiest way to do this is to exit the command prompt and follow the Windows 7 startup repair tool :)

Reaction score
Although Ian is correct, you may want to do a clean install... What you have now is a serious spaghetti bowl... and it although it can work, you will stll have lots of orphaned files taking up space that you may not be able to get rid of because the permissions will be for the Vista instance.... Good news is Windows 7 will wipe your drive clean and install exponentially faster than previous versions of Windows... especialy Vista

Anyway the clean install, although a bit more work, will give you the best Windows 7 experience... worth a few hours of work.... and hide that Vista DVD so noone can do this to you again... I know personally I would be beyond irritated.

Good luck!

Larry D
MS AE

Reaction score
Although Ian is correct, you may want to do a clean install... What you have now is a serious spaghetti bowl... and it although it can work, you will stll have lots of orphaned files taking up space that you may not be able to get rid of because the permissions will be for the Vista instance.... Good news is Windows 7 will wipe your drive clean and install exponentially faster than previous versions of Windows... especialy Vista

Anyway the clean install, although a bit more work, will give you the best Windows 7 experience... worth a few hours of work.... and hide that Vista DVD so noone can do this to you again... I know personally I would be beyond irritated.

Good luck!

Larry D
MS AE

I wonder if he's still married to her? :lol:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
^ :D

I think i would go for format the drive and perform a clean install ... think you will be glad you did in time.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
^ :D

I think i would go for format the drive and perform a clean install ... think you will be glad you did in time.

Ditto! Then recycle that Vista disc. That's all its good for now.

Ask a Question