Backup not complete

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Guys and gals,

When I start my backup, it runs smoothly and then it stops at 16% complete and nothing happens. For some reason it just gets haung up. Here is a snap shot, any ideas?

Capture.jpg

Reaction score
If nothing else happens but the computer remains responsive, I would venture a guess that it is still working but just not updating the gui as quickly as you're hoping for. Let it sit for some time to see if it increases at all.

This kind of thing happens when you install Windows so maybe this situation is similar.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
No offense intended here, but it befuddles me why people continue to use Windows Backup feature, continue to have problems with it and don't go to a good third-party software like the free Macrium Reflect or Acronis.

Both are fast, highly accurate and reliable... much more reliable than the Windows Backup feature.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Thanks Nibs, I would follow your advice and go with one of them, except they are not free.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Thanks Nibs, I would follow your advice and go with one of them, except they are not free.
Acronis True Image is not free except as what Ian suggested.

Macrium Reflect Free is... free.

Go here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

The fastest disk imaging software is now available as a free edition.
Absolutely free! No strings! The only free XP, Vista and Windows 7 compatible disk imaging software with BartPE and Linux based recovery options.

• Create a disk image whilst running Windows using Microsoft Volume Shadow copy Service (VSS).
  • Image to Network, USB, FireWire drives and DVD.
  • Built in scheduler.
  • 32 bit and native 64 bit versions.
  • Industry leading compression levels and speed.
  • Linux based Rescue CD with Network access and full GUI. Only 6.5MB in size!
  • Built in CD/DVD packet writing engine. Supports packet writing to DVD DL media with Windows Vista.
  • HTML log files.
Version: v4.2.2525
Date: 18th March 2010
File Size: 31.8 MB
File Name: reflect_setup_free_x86_x64.exe
MD5 Hash: 3dc6302fc3cd8928988df1c358661986
Windows Versions:XP, Vista, Windows 7. 32 and native 64 Bit.
Note: This installation file contains the 32 and 64 bit versions of Macrium Reflect. The correct version will be automatically installed.
Download Reflect v4.2 Free Edition

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Kalario, I've been using the free version of Macrium Reflect for a couple of months, it's a really good free backup program. I've done two recoveries with it, and it works. As for your Windows backup not working right, mine done the same when my desktop was new out of the box. I had a filesystem problem, where it was converted from Vista to Windows 7. Many computers were done this way, and Windows 7 was actually slung onto many of these computers. As long as the computer booted, they passed it, and repackaged it. A reinstall fixed the problem, and I was able to use the backup.

It's not the perfect one, but the one included with 7 is the best that Windows has offered. I've recovered with the backup myself. But I do recommend Macrium (the free one) over it. If you're going to pay for a backup program, Acronis True Image would be the best choice. Hopefully, you'll find one that suits your needs. If you need further help, post back anytime, Kalario.

Reaction score
What make hard drive do you have Kalario? If you have a Seagate, Maxtor or Western Digital drive then you may be able to get Acronis for free after all - it will be branded as their own version though:

Maxtor / Seagate : http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

Western Digital : http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119
I too must admit that I use the windows backup software but I must be one of the lucky ones I have never ran into a problem using it. I also ran into a few problems, of my own doing, that I had to use the backup. Now that being said and reading what was posted I took the advice and downloaded Ian's suggestion with the Maxtor/Seagate version as I have two Seagate HDD. I also downloaded the Macrium Reflect version as well. Out of the two I like the Seagate version better, it's a little more simplified and user friendly. Only problem I'm having is I cant find out how to set it to auto backup. Is there away to set the backup to backup daily, weekly or monthly. This was a very nice feature in the windows version.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
What make hard drive do you have Kalario? If you have a Seagate, Maxtor or Western Digital drive then you may be able to get Acronis for free after all - it will be branded as their own version though:

Maxtor / Seagate : http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

Western Digital : http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119
Ian, thanks so much! I bought a Seagate backup disc a couple of months ago, assuming that the Acronis backup software would be preinstalled. They had backup software on it, but it was dirt slow and didn't even do a full backup. Now I have all of the tools (backup, disc imaging, cloning, etc.).

Is this what is known as Acronis True Image, or close to the same?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Is this what is known as Acronis True Image, or close to the same?
Basically yes, it's written by Acronis but doesn't have all the features of the full boxed retail program.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I found that out a little while ago. But it's a good backup program, I mean really good. Not as fast as Macrium, but it's good software. I did a disc image of my notebook with it earlier today, and I'm glad that I did. Since I now have XP Media Edition, I decided to rid my system of the regular XP and put the Media Edition in it's place. For whatever reason, for the first time, Macrium failed me. The restore kept hanging at 95% for some reason, I don't know why, nothing was in the way, as I had already deleted both partitions through Windows 7 Disc Management. I've done this before, and it worked. Anyway, I tried three times to restore with Macrium, the last time with a different image, the one that was in the complete disc image. Still, no go. And my backup drive had plenty of space, so nothing was overwritten. I'll never understand why two separate backup images that was taken on different days failed. They were taken over a week apart.

Anyway, I used the backup that I created today, it restored the image fine. I've yet to boot into it, because I'm at 2025/2500 on this folding project, and I don't want to lose it. I lost one last night due to the notebook crashing, that was three fourths finished. Don't you hate it when you're almost finished, and something screws up? Just like the backup restoring up to 95%, then failing. Tomorrow, I'll see how this turns out. I've already done a disc check on the partition, and it reported no problems. But I never believe until I see it myself.

If everything goes alright, I plan to clean install 7 Pro on the notebook, to gain some space for Mint at the end. I have 16GB, but I don't need 43GB for Pro on this drive. 30GB will be plenty, as I plan to install 7 starter in a VM inside of Mint.

You know, this drive has been formatted and reinstalled so many times, I don't see how it keeps going. Five years old and still kicking, the CPU at 100% for the last six weeks. How much more it can stand, I don't know. But I'm not going to back off of it for a minute, if I can help it. It's time to pour it on. That sunroom out back here, it's an oven during the day. I believe it will be a better place for it to fold, where it can get some sunlight.:D

Cat

Ask a Question