Backup Fails

Reaction score
When I try to make a backup onto an external hard drive, with 667 gig free space available, it fails.

Here's what I'm doing:
Start
Control Panel
Backup Your Computer
Choose External Terabit Harddrive
Let Windows Choose (Tried the other option too)

It starts ok, but then says it fails.

When I click "More Information" it simply says:

"A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS' and "SPP" application event logs for more information.
Details: Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data."

With 667 gig available, that shouldn't be the case.

A little history. I bought this computer this year. The first backup worked. Hard drive crashed within a month, so I brought it back and they replaced it and reinstalled all the software. This has been a problem ever since I got it back.

I even formatted the hard drive and reinstalled everything again.

Can anyone help? Since the hard drive crashed once already, I'm a little panicky.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you using Windows 7 built-in backup software or something else? Windows built-in backup software is not able to handle newer hard drives (2TB or larger) because of the new sector sizes.

If you don't think this is the issue then try a system repair and see if that helps.

Personally I think your best bet for backups is to check out our Freeware DB. Depending on your hard drive brand you may be entitled to Western Digital's version of Acronis or Seagate/Maxtor's Disk Wizard and if not then try Macrium Reflect Free.

Reaction score
I'm using Windows 7 built in backup.
My external hard drive is only 1 terabit, but has 665 gig free.
My backup doesn't work on any storage device (USB stick, DVD)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
How big is the hard drive in your computer? I don't know what to tell you, it says there isn't enough space. You might try deleting all the existing back-ups on it and see if it works writing it fresh (rather than updating the one already there which is what it does if the file already exists).

Like I said, most of us don't like the W7 back-up, it has issues. Better to use a different utility.

Ask a Question