Win 7 Backup fails with 0x8007007b

Reaction score
When I do a backup under Win 7 and only select image backup it works fine. If I select any file or folder on C: or any partition on my USB drive the backup fails with error 0x8007007B. Any suggestions?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You might try setting your backup configuration to the defaults ...
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...-files-reset-default-configuration.html?ltr=B

I also found mention of concerns if the drive wasn't formatted as NTFS. And mention of problems if Windows boot manager was not the boot manager being used. Read that Windows 7 must be the active boot partition. .... So, if any of these may be an issue in your computer please mention them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I followed the information in the link you provided and used RegEdit to change the registry and then tried to do a folder backup. I got the same error.

Any other suggestions?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did you reboot after the changes?

Also is your drive formatted NTFS and are you booting to W7 via the standard Windows Boot Manager?

Reaction score
No I didn't reboot. There was no mention of a reboot in the instructions you directed me too. Do I have to refollow the procedure, reboot and then try backing up?

yep - the drive is NTFS

The drive is a dual boot XP & Win 7. Win 7 automatically setup the boot manager so I presume it is standard. I didn't install a 3rd party boot manager.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
After making registry changes I always reboot. I don't know if it will make a difference in this case but it sure won't hurt to try it.
NO, you should not have to redo the changes to the registry. Simply reboot and retry.

I haven't experienced this issue personally, I simply searched for that error message, so if that doesn't work hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

I suspect the most common recommendation you will get here is not to use windows back-up at all, instead try Macrium Reflect. Find a link HERE on our recommended freeware page.

Reaction score
Hmm - isn't Macrium Reflect just disk imaging backup? Win 7 backup does that successfully at the moment - the imaging works fine. I am looking for files/folders backup solution. Most of my files don't change much so I can tolerate a weekly incremental backup for them. I have some very active project folders that I want to incrementally backup every afternoon & night. NTbackup from XP seems to run fine under Win 7. However, I would prefer to use the tools built into the WIN 7 OS. There has to be an answer somewhere. Got any ideas where I might post a message? I posted a message in the MS Backup – Windows and Windows Server forum but no luck so far :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I guess my question would be, how do you use Windows Back-up to ONLY back up a folder 6 days a week and have it do a full back-up the other day. As far as I can see it's purpose is to back up everything selected and run that on a schedule. By default it picks what to back-up but you can specify extra files & folders. If you unselect all the system default files then when it writes this back-up, what you want to be an incremental back-up may wipe out your full back-up, plus you then have to go set it back up once a week for a full back-up.

This is not what it was designed to do; it is meant to perform unattended back-ups of all the selected files. I see no options in Windows Back-up to do Incremental Back-ups and no way to say back up only these files 6 days a week and back up everything on Sunday. I'm not saying it can't be done but to my knowledge it isn't how it was designed.

This means, using it as I understand it was intended, doing a full back-up. Macrium also does full back-ups, but, from what I have heard, a lot faster. There are at least a couple Macrium Reflect supporters here; hopefully they can offer more in-site on that product. For me I am satisfied with a weekly Windows Back-up while I'm asleep.

To me it sounds like you are trying to make it do something it was never intended to do and I have no idea who you could ask to help.

Reaction score
The same way I do it using NTbackup on XP. Schedule backups for 6 folders twice a daily and seperately schedule an image back up weekly. It is my understanding the backup software in Win 7 is intelligent enough -- usually -- to do incremental backups after the first one is done. Call me old school - but the Win 7 backup software sucks compared to classic NTbackup :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Solved - I think

This machine is an IBM with an OEM drive which steals a small partition for an installation copy of XP. It looks like Backup under Win 7 cannot handle this situation resulting in the error. What a shame!

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Here is a simple yet effective back-up scheduler. Karen.s Replicator. Freeware!
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

You can back-up any folders or files to anywhere including network locations at any time with her simple scheduler.

This program has been around for years and is compatible with 64bit systems. Let me know if you like.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
From a post in Microsoft Forums, Samhrutha G, Microsoft Support says ...

The backup Windows 7 follows is incremental backup. Windows Backup will add new or changed information to your subsequent backups. If you're saving your backups on a hard drive or network location, Windows Backup will create a new, full backup for you automatically when needed.

Refer the below links to know how Windows 7 backup and restore process works:

Back up your files:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/back-up-your-files

Backup and restore: frequently asked questions:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-and-restore-frequently-asked-questions

How does Windows choose which files to back up?:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/How-does-Windows-choose-which-files-to-back-up

... so it appears that if you just set up ONE backup it is supposed to be smart enough to only update blocks that have changed. I don't know, to me it's still confusing but basically I read it that you don't tell it full or incremental, it just does it. Like they said in at least one post I found, "it may not be for everyone".

Last edited:
Reaction score
had the same issue with backup over the lan..ending with
0x8007007b error

Some time ago I upgraded my system with a SSD and I moved the entire C win 7 partition to SSD. In the end the system had: 1 ssd and one hdd...an I kept also the old win7 as a hidden partition on hdd. After a system crash..I restored the bootloader with a cd...dindn't remember how, and perhaps it installed a vrong bootloader..bcd etc. During boot I had 2 entries with win7..one linked to ssd which booted normally..and a broken one..linked to old ..hidden win 7 partition on old hdd.

the fix was to boot from a win 7 repair cd/dvd
command promt ..

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec / fixboot

bootrec /rebuildbcd

which ended with an error "Total identified Windows installations: 0"

the solution found here

"4. Since the BCD store exists and lists a Windows installation, you'll first have to "remove" it manually and then try to rebuild it again.

At the prompt, execute the bcdedit command as shown and then press Enter:

bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup
The bcdedit command is used here to export the BCD store as a file: bcdbackup. There's no need to specify a file extension.

The command should return the following on screen:

The operation completed successfully.
Meaning the BCD export worked as expected.

5. At this point, you need to adjust several file attributes for the BCD store so you can manipulate it.

At the prompt, execute the attrib command exactly like this:

attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
What you just did with the attrib command was remove the hidden, read-only, and system attributes from the file bcd. Those attributes restricted the actions you could take on the file. Now that they're gone, you can manipulate the file more freely - specifically, rename it.

6. To rename the BCD store, execute the ren command as shown:

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
Now that the BCD store is renamed, you should now be able to successfully rebuild it, as you tried to do in Step 2.

Note: You could delete the BCD file entirely since you're about to create a new one. However, renaming the existing BCD accomplishes the same thing since it's now unavailable to Windows, plus provides you yet another layer of backup, in addition to the export you did in Step 5, if you decide to undo your actions.

7. Try rebuilding the BCD again by executing the following, followed by Enter:

bootrec /rebuildbcd
which should produce this in the Command Prompt window:

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.
Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 1
[1] D:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? Yes<Y>/No<N>/All<A>:"

and added only the SSD windows installation..to show in boot os selection menu

after that the backup to NAS works just fine!

Reaction score
so..incorrect/wrong mbr/boot record/ bcd could also cause error 0x8007007b when using windows 7 backup system.

let it be here, maybe it will help somebody else... because after few hour of googling I found this ...myself as a solution to a problem which was at first look...impossible to solve :)

w7 Backup system doesn't log errors ...in a way in which we could easily find a solution.

Ask a Question