AUTOPLAY

Reaction score
HIYA, Hope somone can help since upgrading to windows 7 my rom drives won't autoplay i'v tried all the settings i know i can open up the drive and get all the files on the disc and find the correct one and open it but not always, Thanks D.C.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Go to the Control panel, set your view (top right corner of toolbar) to small icons. From resulting list select "Autoplay".
In the window that opens check that the "Use Autoplay for all media and devices" box on the top left is ticked.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
A couple of registry keys to check out then!!

Open up Regedit.exe and navigate to:-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\cdrom
and in the right hand window make sure the Autorun REG_DWORD value is set to 0x00000001 (1).

Then navigate to:-
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
and in the right hand window check that the NoDriveTypeAutoRun REG_DWORD is set to the default 0x00000091 (145), OR, if you have a floppy drive the REG_DWORD is set to the default 0x00000095 (149)
If the NoDriveTypeAutoRun REG_DWORD is set to 0x000000FF (255) then that is definitely your problem. That setting disables AutoRun.
VMWare is known to change this and stores the setting in its own settings entries. Some drive emulation (virtual drives) software programs are also known to change this setting.

Reaction score
how do i check registry keys ........in command promt?..FORGIVE MY IGNORANCE.

Reaction score
Sorry........or do i type it in search programs and files on the start page?

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that Autorun needs the "SHELL HARDWARE DETECTION" Service to be running with Automatic start up.

To view Services type services.msc in the start menu search box or the Run window
To view registry type regedit.exe in the start menu search box or the Run window

Reaction score
REPLY TO POST

I also had to restart my win 7 pc first before register changes took effect. Press WINDOWS BUTTON + R this will get you to the RUN window then enter "regedit" and you'll get to the windows register. Thanks for the help!

Ask a Question