SOLVED autoplay CD

Reaction score
Today, I am unable to access auto play when inserting audio CD into the drive. I've gone to Help & Support and tried the suggestion given, but all that appears is the a small Windows Media Play box on the desktop - in the past when that appeared there was a small blank box in the top right corner on which I would click, the a larger window would appear showing a list of all the recordings.

Reaction score
click Start button > in the search box, type autoplay > Enter
at Audio CD heading, click the pointer at far right, and select your default device, such as Windows Media Player > click Save.

Now can you play the CD now?

Reaction score
Tried your suggestions, but was unable to access the CDs, finally decided to restore an image - all is fine now. Thanks.

Reaction score
I'm am sort of having the same problem, but when I insert a CD or thumb drive I do not get the auto play dialog box asking me what I want to do. I even checked services and says auto play is running, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
........when I insert a CD or thumb drive I do not get the auto play dialog box asking me what I want to do.............

So what happened? Did it play the CD?

Reaction score
nothing happened. still not getting a dialog box.
Have you tried the suggestion I gave to the original poster?....................

click Start button > in the search box, type autoplay > Enter
at Audio CD heading, click the pointer at far right, and select your default device, such as Windows Media Player > click Save.

Now can you play the CD now?

Reaction score
Already did all that last week. Even have the little box checked for all media devices.

Reaction score
Already did all that last week. Even have the little box checked for all media devices.
Suggestion :

Start button > search box, type cmd > at top left, right click at cmd.exe > select Run As Administrator > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this command ......
net start shellhwdetection
press Enter key.
Exit cmd when done.

Try inserting your CD again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Gary you tried all the ideas from the Digitallife link you posted above? Because I figured it might be a registry issue or a stopped service but if you already checked items #2, #3 ,& #4 then I don't know what else to suggest other than #5 which is start uninstalling software they might be an issue.

Reaction score
I tried this option before in the past and all I get is this: The requested service has already been started. There is something screwy with my computer. It has a few other issues as well. Going in the shop soon. Thanks for all your feedback.

Reaction score
Gary you tried all the ideas from the Digitallife link you posted above? Because I figured it might be a registry issue or a stopped service but if you already checked items #2, #3 ,& #4 then I don't know what else to suggest other than #5 which is start uninstalling software they might be an issue.
.....I can't uninstall all software, 'cause when I moved am missing a box of software discs that can't be found to reload the software. thanks for your feedback. going to take it to a shop soon and get the issue and a few other issues fixed.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well there is no need to uninstall ALL software. It would need to be software you could logically reason might affect your registry or services related to Autoplay. For example I use TuneUp Utilities and I know it tweaks registry settings so I would consider uninstalling that but I also use Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook and I am confident the office suite would have no effect on whether my Autoplay worked or not.

If you computer has other issues too then the best bet is probably a fresh reinstall of Windows 7 but doing that would also be a problem for you because you would need your missing programs disks. Depending on the software you might be able to download it. Note, for software that requires a product key, make sure you extract the key before you erase or reinstall from/over your current installation.

Ask a Question