Audio Volume Levels Too Low

Reaction score
Hi Everyone -
I am new to this forum and new to Windows 7, and don't know if this is the correct place to post this question...
My audio volume is astonishingly low. Google searches have turned up many instances of this problem with Win7, but no solutions. All settable volumes are set to maximum. Additiionally, I have gone to Sounds > Playback ...
1) ...> & Set Playback to Speakers (The only Choice)
2) ...> Speakers > Properties > Levels & set volume to 100
3) ...> Speakers > Properties > Enhancements & Disabled All Enhancements
4) ...> Speakers > Properties > Enhancements & Restored Defaults
5) Tested Speakers and and speaker output cable on another computer (they are good)

One abnormality which I feel is related, it that plugging in headphones, or moving the audio-out from the back (speakers) to the front (headphones), no longer incurs the auto sensing of this change. The system always thinks the output is to the speakers. If I unplug the speakers, and leave the headphones connected, it still thinks the speakers are connected but not the headphones. Yet, it must still sense something as unplugging both results in it correctly identifying that audio output is unavailable.

Right after this post I will uninstall all audio drivers and restart. I will post these results shortly.

Thanking you in advance - kk9

Reaction score
Uninstalling and reinstalling all drivers has not solved the problem. I am stumped!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your drivers would be different in Windows7 and they control all this stuff. Unfortunately they may not be designed to function the same as they used too. You should check with the manufacturer of the sound card and make sure you are using the latest drivers from them rather than a W7 default or an old driver DVD.

Reaction score
Thanks - But not USB & therefore applicable

Thanks - But the link you sent me to is not applicable as these are analog speakers & not USB, and there is no "default speaker selection". Your suggestion to obtain drivers from the manufacturer is a good one and I shall work on it next. I did not mention earlier, but this problem has been so gradual that I only noticed it when I discovered that I was maxed out on my external analog volume and still could not hear very well. I realized that when the system was new the analog volume was at ~25% of full. Attempts to solve the issue has set the output ever lower. Now I can hear very little even with headphones!

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
TM, I read this post before logging in and there was a Google Ad with a click-able link for "fixing sound problems in W7". Could have been that.

Reaction score
is it plugged into the green port or the blue one? it should be on the green one if not.

Ask a Question