Another microphone thread...

Reaction score
Hi all. I did an install of Windows 7 the other day on my laptop (ASUS X83vb is the sticker on the bottom, N80vb in the control panel) and, as expected, the ASUS drivers were erased. The small things like pre-built animations when I turn brightness and volume up/down are gone. This doesn't bother me, what does, is that the microphone is having problems detecting.

I use the built in microphone for Skype, etc, and here's the weird part. It IS detecting, but I have to talk REALLY loud for it to register anything. Also, in the device manager, the microphone is simply labeled as "High definition audio device" compared to "Built in microphone" when I was running the factory installed Windows Vista 64 bit. I've checked the ASUS support website, but I've been unsuccessful at downloading the correct drivers. They have to be out there somewhere.

I've checked the sound settings and have my device boosted as high as it can go, but it's still "acting up". Any ideas? I'm not even sure what type of drivers I need, as ASUS only has three categories of drivers: BIOS, Utilities, and Manuals. Would this be a BIOS driver?

Thanks in advance for any help solving this annoying issue.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Have you gone to Control Panel, Sound - Recording Tab and see if your microphone is listed? If not, right-click in the window below the tab and check: "Show Disabled Devices" it will probably show up then.

IF you have done so already, download the latest Realtek HD Audio driver from either the link above that TorrentG gave you or from FileHippo which is a faster download link.

http://filehippo.com/download_realtek_high_definition_audio_vista_64/

Even though the driver name has Vista in it, it is the correct Windows 7 driver.

Ask a Question