Another IE8 problem - Stops working and restarts often

Reaction score
I am still using Vista, waiting for my W7 order to be shipped. Here is the problem.

IE8 frequently stops working and I get a message to that effect, then IE8 restarts and resumes on the same WEB page. It isn't catastrophic, but is very annoying. This problem also occurred with IE7, When I upgraded to IE8, the problem appeared to be resolved as IE8 worked normally...for a while that is. After some time, a week or two maybe, the same problem resurfaced with IE8. It stops working almost always a few seconds to a minute after I start IE8 for the first time.and sometimes stops and restarts several times during a session.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, has using IE8 with W7 resoved the problem?

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you try running IE8 in safe mode to see if that helps (not Windows safe mode, but IE8 safe mode). You can run it by typing "iexplore -extoff" in the run box and this will disable all addons. It could be that one of these is causing the crash and this will help narrow the search down :)

Reaction score
Thanks, Ian, I just turned off the IE8 add ons and will see if this helps. Will the add ons stay turned off or do I have to re-run it after every startup?

My Win7 upgrade package hasn't arrived yet, but I expect it any day now.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The addons are only disabled for that session, so as soon as you close the window and open up IE8 again they will load. It's just a good way to rule out the addons causing a problem :)

Ask a Question