Another case of SoundMax not working with HP desktop (DC7100 SFF)

Reaction score
I tried every trick in the book, still no joy.
Un-installing and re-installing... Nope, still no workie!
The HP site of course does not have an option for Windows 7, and the only audio driver they have is not for my machine. I picked Vista just for kicks!
Are you listening Microsoft? You Beta users are not happy.
I had Linux, and then Open Solaris on that same machine until last week and the sound worked...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you know what sound card you have (or the motherboard if it's onboard?), I can see if there are any later drivers if you can find that out :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!
The sound card is embedded on the system board as it is the original one.
It is a SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio from Analog Devices, Inc.
The driver is dated 4/15/2004, version 5.12.1.4070.
The computer is an HP/Compaq DC-7100 Small Form Factor.
The system properties show a ACPI x86 based PC.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I tried, but no joy.
Then the troubleshooter also re-installs the same driver as before.:(

Reaction score
Update:

Hello Gilles,

Thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's Commercial Solutions Center.

This is with reference to your e-mail regarding HP Compaq dc7100 Small Form Factor PC.

I understand that you would need the Audio driver for Windows 7.

Gilles, I would like to inform you that the unit is not tested with Windows 7 and the driver is not available. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Please feel free to get back to us for any further assistance and we will be glad to assist you.

Once again, thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's Commercial Solutions Center; have a great day.

Regards,

Chaitanya Pasupuleti
Technical Support Engineer - PSG Portable/Desktop

"Our aim is to deliver the best in class customer service."

That really helps! NOT!!!:(

Reaction score
Hello zippy_gg,

I had the same issue with my HP notebook and soundmax audio card. Finally, I gave up and was happy without sound. However, I tried once in a while uninstalling the driver and let the system choose the correct one. And out of a sudden, I have sound now. Unfortunately, I do not know why and what I did.

I would say, please uninstall everything, disable audio in the device manager and let your computer choose the driver. My update the driver through the internet and it is working now.

I hope you will have sound soon. Windows 7 is definitely a great system even without sound.

Good luck,

DIDDL
:)

Ask a Question