Analog Out of Range

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just joined the forums as I just tried to install Windows 7. I used the word "tried" because I did not succeed in doing so...

Background
I was using Windows XP SP3 on a very old computer when I decided to try out Windows 7, just for fun.
I knew the OS might be slower than XP, but I wanted to try it out anyway.

My Specs (please don't laugh)
Amd Duron 4 Mobile 1.30GHz
1024MB of RAM
No video card, just the default on-board one that came with the SiS motherboard.

HD and Operating Systems
1 - 40GB (Windows XP SP3)
2 - 75GB (no OS)
3 - 20GB (Crunchbang Linux)

The Problem
After the initial setup checklist (the one that starts with "Copying files...") checked the last item, my computer restarted itself and then my previous boot menu was gone and instead I found myself staring at the Analog Out of Range message my monitor gave me.

Solutions That Didn't Work

• Waiting a couple of minutes. I waited for 30.
  • Connecting a different monitor. Same problem.
  • Booting from a different hd. Same problem.
  • Booting from the setup DVD again. Encountered the "Code 5" error.
  • Fixing the boot manager using my old Windows XP cd. Can't : I had to supply the Windows 7 administrative password, which I don't have since the installation didn't reach that step yet.
Please, help!

Thanks,
Eshed.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
At which stage does the "analog out of range" error message appear? Normally that appears if there is a resolution or refresh rate that your monitor/graphics card can't support. It does seem odd that it does it at such an early stage in boot though, as it's a standard res.

Did you set up Windows 7 to dual boot with your XP installation on HD1?

Reaction score
During the boot process, tap on the F8 key to get to the page where safe mode is. Here you will also see a selection that says "enable low resolution video".
This then should allow you to boot to Windows and set the video resolution to waht your monitor supports.

Paul

Reaction score
Sorry for taking so long to respond, I don't have access to a computer that often at the moment.

And to your replies...

At which stage does the "analog out of range" error message appear?
It appears just as you described, when either an OS menu appears or a progress bar for loading an OS should show up.

Did you set up Windows 7 to dual boot with your XP installation on HD1?
Yeah, I installed Windows 7 from Windows XP SP3 on a different drive for exactly that. After the installation I should've had one disk with XP, another with 7 and the third with #!CB.

During the boot process, tap on the F8 key to get to the page where safe mode is. Here you will also see a selection that says "enable low resolution video".
This then should allow you to boot to Windows and set the video resolution to waht your monitor supports.
I'll try that, but if I remember correctly it gives me a boot menu in which I pick an HD to boot from, a CD or another device that's connected at boot time.

Thanks for helping, I hope I'll get to a solution soon!

Reaction score
Hi,
After you get the boot menu, select the boot drive, hit enter, then begin Tapping F8 again.

Reaction score

Paul
Yup that should do it!

Reaction score
I'm happy to say I got 7 working! Unfortunately I couldn't make Windows show me the boot sequence, the Windows logo or any boot menu 7 gave.

The fully documented solution is posted on my blog. Thank you all for your help, I couldn't have done this without you guys!

Eshed.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for reporting back with the solution eshedz, I'm glad you're up and running again :D

Ask a Question