Alienware- Windows.old trouble

Reaction score
Long:
I have read everything there is to read and tried most of it, so I'm assuming my problem is unique. Ergo, links to the fixits and other common problem topics won't help (I've also tried all of the ones I could find), so I ask that you don't waste my time or yours. Anyways, I recently had to restore my operating system (Windows 7 Home Premium), and I've encountered a few issues. I got the Alienware "look and feel" back, not the theme, but the logon background and such, but none of my programs are usable, my internet driver and some others are gone, and the registry (I'm assuming) has none of my stuff in it. So I ask if anyone here can help. I've been trying to move windows.old into the Windows folder for ages, but it just will not work.
Short:
I need a way to move everything from windows.old back into plain old windows. Copy and paste won't work. Microsoft fixits won't work.
Many thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So what exactly is your problem?

So it seems that you've done and upgrade instead of a clean install of your OS. That's the only time you will get the "windows.old" file. I would suggest doing a clean install and then setting up your themes and personal preferences.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have to agree, it sounds like you did a system install not a system restore and so all your programs have to be reinstalled so the registry entries, data folders, etc are created for them to run properly.

Ask a Question