Access Denied! Please help!!! this is my 3rd hdd!

Reaction score
Greetings,

Please bear with me. I am not technically savvy. I know enough to be dangerous, therefore try not to "do this at home". The first hdd was the .exe trojan-. The second was my bad. I had removed my kitty pictures from my external before I put it away. I put in the pendrive to view and bingo- the serpent was back. Oblivious, I kept on buzzing around (had avg home) until the serpent locked me out, took my c dr and turned it into x. DEAD. I finally got my acer back. The very first day, I tried to do everything correctly to ensure safety. I immediately downloaded AVG and got the toolbar virus. One day. I called avg, they remoted in and now not only do I still have the virus it is turning into a serpent. I am giving this information because I do not always explain things well nor coherently. I may misunderstand your questions and give absolutely absurd answers. With this being said, to the nut of the matter:

I have an Acer Aspire One Win 7 starter that I upgraded to full 7. Anomalies began to occur. Small but warnings. After AVG remoted and it worsened, I am very ashamed to say that all common sense left me ( lost my kitty pictures). I was in such fury that it not quite clear the the steps I did next. It had not locked me out of C. But took control of user rights. It attached the c drive to X. Every time I boot up I rcvd 'not genuine copy of micros'. Since this did not seem to be as bad as the other, I created dban. It ate it for lunch, twice and left a very small used bite when I reformatted the usb. Nope, not going there again. To date, I have thrown away, 15 usb, 14 sd, 3 external hdd, it murdered my external cd/rom. It can read my password and access point and has control over the internet. I changed my password and access points enough that they no me by name. That is when I completely lost it. I believe this to be what I have done: Set factory default 5 times, nope. Tried to take ownership back through advanced permissions ACCESS DENIED. From here it gets fuzzy. Knowing that it had control of cmd.exe, I decided to confuse it, welcome to my world. I booted up, hit ctrl, alt, delete 20 times in succession, thinking that it could not thwart all that in such a short order of time. I let the boot go thru, I typed in cmd.exe, Mr. Sulu I have the com. I now have the full list of windows commands to kill the serpent AND I DON'T know what they mean. One listed looked very promising, Boot- in my pea brain it occur to me that my luck had run out and to come to you. I do not have an installation disc. I thought maybe it I booted from the cmd a copy of win 7 (have key) It woud mash, kill, burn, throw in a vat of acid the serpent. I hope I have made some kind of sense (oh yeah, I went into safe mode with cmd to get to this point) Feel free to ask anything, I will answer as best as possible.
Now that I have written the sequel to War and Peace, I ask:
If you have any solutions, advice, direction or a hammer, I would greatly appreciate any help and actually listen to it. If there is no solution, I thank you for taking the time to read this (and not fall into a coma).
Many regards, addhdd- oh one more thing- I am not lazy I did look all over for an answer before I came here.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I understood the part about Mr. Sulu.

Well...from what I gather you have a very typical infection of something or other. You basically have 2 ways to proceed about it. 1) You can download a live cd of Kaspersky or some other virus removal software, boot up from it, and hope it manages to remove the threats from the hard drive. Or 2) you can download a Linux distro, mount the hard drive, copy your uhhh kitty pics to safety to another removable drive or an online storage, then wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows. I would personally just go with the second option.

You can always try booting into safe modes and downloading removal tools etc but I personally don't feel comfortable continuing to run a previously severely infected system. In most cases it is a lot less headache-inducing to just salvage your data and nuke the damn thing from orbit...it's the only way to be sure.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
SIDE NOTE: There is rarely ever a reason to throw out working hard drives or flash drives because of a virus; you simply reformat them. You loose everything on them but then they are good as new.

Reaction score
Get McAfee stinger on another PC. Run it on your PC using an old USB card reader AND an SD card with write protect tab. New readers are useless as they do not prevent the cards from being written to regardless of the tab position.Will remove almost all virus which have been active in the past 2 - 3 years. I keep a few old 512 mb cards just for the purpose. Pen drives are useless as they are not write protected either. CD / DVD disks are simply too cumbersome.

Reaction score
You are all terrific!! I have tried several of your remedies, to no avail (most likely I employed them incorrectly). So Dban again- it worked!! I have a clean slate. I have been reading many articles on keeping the os secure. With respect, there were a few that conflicted. Granted, I am totally paranoid at this point. I was hoping that, if you don't mind, you could point me towards an easy to understand link that will guide me on where to go to protect my internet, etc etc. I'm ashamed to admit that I read the microsoft tutorials but couldn't absorb all the information given. It is great information, and when I finally understand (wouldn't hold my breath on that one) all the different key strokes, along with the process that could be done either in, cmd or going to this function in the program or that function, it will make sense. I haven't re-installed 7 yet. For once, I intend to take my time, not guess, follow the rules and have my fun, little 'spending my retirement' shopping machine back.

Again, I greatly appreciate your responses and the fantastic advice.
Sorry I took so long to reply- I wanted try the advice given, instead of asking the same questions over and over. hard to pick a best answer when all of them were!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Use a good anti-virus, anti-malware software but the most important thing is to "Use your head": Don't click on suspicious links or attachments in emails or webpages. Read HERE for more tips to protect your computer.

Reaction score
Thank you!!! I sort of understand that tutorial. Surprisingly, I don't click on links ( re: compac evo dead in garage) I don't "try free" (re: toshiba satellite dead in the garage) I don't use externals that I think have been used (re:dead Dell insperon in the garage). I'm ready to pitch so get ready to whack one out of the park- I didn't know I had outlook on any of them. Truly, I am not a moron. I actually have comprehension skills. For some unknown reason, I simply can not comprehend all the data needed to have a happy, smart and safe machine. I have been around them long enough to miss Pong. I am sorry to keep asking incredibly embarrassing (to me) questions ( that scare you to think that I actually drive a car) but here is the is the soon to be known as the ultimate Darwin Award: I thought my recovery disc would re install Win 7, I don't have an install disk (netbook), refuse to accept well meaning advice or media from friends. Can I safely download a copy of 7 - to a usb- from the internet? I have a legal key. I am only asking this to ensure I do the right thing and not add to my garageyard.

With many thanks and many apologies-

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You can BUT if you have a netbook then you probably have 32-bit W7 Home Starter and the only download links we have are for Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate.

It is possible to download the 32-bit version of one of the three I listed, edit the ISO image with software such as PowerISO, and then use the Microsoft USB/DVD Download tool to create a bootable flash drive (must be 4GB or larger) and then copy the revised ISO to it.

Things you will need:
Download the 32-bit version of the W7 SP1 Installation DVD ISO.
Download PowerISO.
Remove ei.cfg from the ISO (see Instructions HERE)
Download the USB/DVD Download tool.

Reaction score
You can BUT if you have a netbook then you probably have 32-bit W7 Home Starter and the only download links we have are for Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate.

It is possible to download the 32-bit version of one of the three I listed, edit the ISO image with software such as PowerISO, and then use the Microsoft USB/DVD Download tool to create a bootable flash drive (must be 4GB or larger) and then copy the revised ISO to it.

Things you will need:
Download the 32-bit version of the W7 SP1 Installation DVD ISO.
Download PowerISO.
Remove ei.cfg from the ISO (see Instructions HERE)
Download the USB/DVD Download tool.

Reaction score
Yeah, I know- actual proof that I never win playing CLUE! Wonderful, concise advice. Thank you! This truly beyond what I had hoped for!! I promise to not only read all the information, but if I have one single question I will go right to Microsoft.

Thanks 1 million times over!
Health and happiness to you and yours!!

Reaction score
I understood the part about Mr. Sulu.

Well...from what I gather you have a very typical infection of something or other. You basically have 2 ways to proceed about it. 1) You can download a live cd of Kaspersky or some other virus removal software, boot up from it, and hope it manages to remove the threats from the hard drive. Or 2) you can download a Linux distro, mount the hard drive, copy your uhhh kitty pics to safety to another removable drive or an online storage, then wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows. I would personally just go with the second option.

You can always try booting into safe modes and downloading removal tools etc but I personally don't feel comfortable continuing to run a previously severely infected system. In most cases it is a lot less headache-inducing to just salvage your data and nuke the damn thing from orbit...it's the only way to be sure.
I have been meaning to post back to you- I did nuke the damn thing from orbit- It was the only way to be sure- one the best lines in Aliens 2- and worked for me! Get the Cheese to sickbay! Sad but my kitty pictures have gone the way of the dodo. I swear I will never recover- from 8 weeks to 3 years old! Print is the word, the word that you heard! Thanks,my friend.

Ask a Question