SOLVED Desperate..Plz Help..Admin Access Denied

Reaction score
Hello everyone....

please can anyone help me urgently....

i have win 7 home premium 64bit.....n while trying to change the security options for other users, (deny access to them), i also did it for another user who is also an admin like me..... and now i cant access my folder in my d drive....

every time i open it i get a dialog box saying
you have been denied access to the folder - to gain access use security tab....

so i go to the security tab, press edit, and the administrators got a tick next to allow but it is all greyed out so i cant untick/tick anything.

i do the same thing as another admin user but this time i can go to adding a user to have permission by pressing the advance tab and selecting the user but when i press ok and go into the same problem arises.

anyone please please please help me.....im desperate as this d drive has all my work in it.....

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Try these steps...

Download the Take Ownership zip, unzip and open the file to install it. Once that's done, you'll have an option in your right-click menu called Take Ownership. Open Windows Explorer and locate your external drive with locked files. Select all the files and folders on the drive, right-click and do Take Ownership. It may take from a few minutes to a while to apply the changes. You should have full access to the files on the drive after that.

Reaction score
Similar problem...

Total noob to W7 here.
I just performed my first install of W7 64-bit on a new laptop. All went very smoothly, no problems during install, and set my self up as Admin.
Began exploring Windows Explorer, and discovered several folders gave me the "Access Denied" notification when attempting to open them, including the Documents and Settings folder.
Editing the security settings to allow "Full Control" for all listed users has failed to allow any access to these folders, even though now they all show checked for "Full Control".
WIll the "Take Ownership.zip" file get me access to these folders?
Worth a shot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
i think so..you can always try, i was an admin myself and i couldnt get access, so used this...

once install just right click on the folder scroll down and select take ownership... hope it works or you...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
discovered several folders gave me the "Access Denied" notification when attempting to open them, including the Documents and Settings folder.
[Will] the "Take Ownership.zip" file get me access to these folders?
In Windows 7 even administrators do not have default access to system files. Only the "Administrator account", which by default can not logon, has ownership. To access your Documents etc it is intended that you access them via Libraries and that is why direct access is prevented by default.

If you insist on accessing the files directly then, yes, take ownership will work.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I suggest, that if you are intent on opening the locked folders, such as "Documents and Settings", you first take a look here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb756982.aspx

accessing "junction " folders can lead to the need to completely reinstall your computer. At best, you will find you are daily, creating a heap of duplicated files if you do mess with them.
It serves no useful purpose. They are not intended for normal everyday use.

Reaction score
Noob again...

Thanks! You just may have saved me a re-install.
Like I said, I'm a total noob to W7, and it looks like I'll be spending quite a bit of time here getting used to a whole new way of doing some things. At least I still have XP on my other laptop so meanwhile I can remain productive.:)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I think Dave is trying to warn you to not move/change the folder structure even if you do use Take Ownership. There are valid reasons to use Take Ownership to access files but, as with all tools, you should use it carefully and know what you re doing.

Reaction score
So is it OK to create my own folder structure with the C: Drive, such as Comm, Downloads, Gaming, Security, Utilities like I did with XP and earlier?

Even with earlier versions of Windows I never used Program Files unless necessary ( I guess I just don't like "putting all my eggs into one basket", so to speak ).

W7 is a whole new animal to me, and because the "once bitten twice shy" analogy has paid off in the past, I want to go very carefully, even if it appears to be too careful.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Technically yes but I wouldn't recommend hanging them off the root.

There is already a Downloads folder created for you (you can find it under Desktop and on my system I personally added a link to it from within Libraries). Most of what you mention such as Utilities would be programs and the installed version will go in Program Files or Program Files (x86) but I personally do maintain folders in my Downloads folder of Utilities, Antivirus, etc in case I ever need to reinstall and this would probably be the appropriate place for most of the folders you mentioned.

Because of the multi-user structure built into Vista/W7, your DATA folder structures would best be created under C:\Users\heloego\My Documents. This way if other users are given logon ids to your system, these folders will be "yours" and not readily available to everyone; also during upgrades such as from Vista to W7 and eventually from W7 to W8 the system and programs like Windows Easy Transfer know to treat My Documents as data to be transferred (where folders off the root would not be).

Note: Your Downloads folder is also really maintained under C:\Users\heloego, this way all data belonging to you is under your LOGIN. If another user logs on to the system they see a downloads folder and My Documents and My Music etc but they are under their ID and they cannot see your files.

Reaction score
Thanks again!
I have always maintained a seperate Downloads folder, but since it already does tha for me that's one step I won't concern myself with. I've already noted DLs automatically go to that folder.
Spent several hours with W7 today and the more I find my way around, the more I'm impressed. I've already nearly finished customization, transferred most of my data, and am nearly ready to use this thing at work.

Kudos for MS's decision to replace the Vista team. Too bad they appear to have been shunted over to IE. :rolleyes:

Ask a Question