Delete folder/files - access denied

Reaction score
My PC originally came with a normal SATA HD with Windows 7 installed.

Then I got an SSD and did a fresh installation of Windows 7 on the SSD.

The SSD is labeled C: while SATA HD is D:\

Now I am trying to delete the SATA's folders:

Program Files\

Program Files (x86)\

ProgramData\

Windows\

but it won't let me. I've tried Unlocker program, and even force delete command-prompt in Adminstrator-mode.

I even booted up in SAFE-MODE and it still says "Access Denied".

I've compared the C:\ with the corresponding D:\ folders and noted that the files already exist in C:\...

BUT Program Files\ is newer on C:\

WHILST the other 3 folders, D:\ seems newer.

If Windows 7 still uses folders/files from SATA D:\ (even though I did a fresh installation in C:\..... how can I transfer them to C:\ and get them deleted from D:?

PS: I could just take the SATA D:\ out and see what happens

Reaction score
I would advise you to make a live Linux usb flash drive and boot from it to delete any file or folder you want. If you are not familiar with live Linux, it is a portable operating system that runs off the flash drive. No files are written to your hard drive and when you shutdown, it is completely gone.

I like Linux Mint because it is very similar to Windows 7. You will have no trouble using it. I use the MATE Desktop 32-bit version. Here is the download link.

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

This is the program I used to make the flash drive.

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

One last note, if you send the deleted files to the Trash Can, (Linux's version of the Recycle Bin) empty the Trash Can before you Shutdown. If you don't, the deleted files or folders will end up on the root of your hard drive.

If you right click on the file or folder you want to delete, in the context menu there is, Permanently Delete, that is what I use when I want to delete a file.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Install Take Ownership (from our Freeware DB) & then in Windows Explorer right-click over the 4 folders (1 at a time) to run it on them. Then try deleting subfolders starting at the deepest levels & working your way up

NOTE: there may also be hidden files/folder so make sure you have the Windows Explorer View options set to see them.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question