SOLVED Access is denied

Reaction score
I recently had my computer freeze and I was unable to boot into Windows. I use Ghost for my backup and I used the Ghost Recovery Disk to go to the latest restore point. Everything worked fine. Windows now works. When I opened up Windows Explorer and looked in the "my documents" section of the libraries, I get the following message "C;\users\Bill\Documents\my pictures is not accessible - access is denied". I go to the user file and the pictures are there. What can I do to get my document library to work as it did before?

Reaction score
Save this as a .reg file, double click it, and restart. Once you've restarted, right click on the folder you can't access and take ownership.

Code:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Or you can just download the take ownership script from our Freeware DB. Then, as Thrax mentioned, install it and then within Windows Explorer right-click to take ownership of the folder you cannot access.

Reaction score
The TakeOwnership script does the same thing mine does.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I understand that, I was saying the OP could just download it if that would be easier for them.

Reaction score
Hooray to both of you. That took care of the problem. I chose to download the script since it was easier but the response was quick and great. I applaud you both.

Ask a Question