Access denied on USB hard drive.

Reaction score
I have just upgraded from Vista to Windows 7, and now I cannot access the USB disk from this computer. I get access denied. On my other computer, with the Windows XP, the disk works perfectly. On my friends computer, with Vista, it works perfectly too. On the properties, all users have the full access.
I have run out of ideas how to solve this. Any suggestions?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Launch regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\. Erase UpperFilters and LowerFilters. Reboot.

No guarantees but it's a shot.

Reaction score
Launch regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\. Erase UpperFilters and LowerFilters. Reboot.

No guarantees but it's a shot.
Thanks for the answer, but it did not help. Besides, my drive is recognised by a system, I just cannot access files. I can search through it, for some reason.

Reaction score
Can you select the files and Take Ownership?
I am somewhat afraid of this "take ownership" thing. Is there a possibility that I can loose an access to these files, from others PCs as well? Right now, there is no place to backup my data. Thats why I keep them on usb drive in the first place.
I am kind of new to W7, but while looking for an answer, I have run into a guy who have had a very similar situation: http://social.answers.microsoft.com...y/thread/a534c0e9-0f19-4d1a-be93-52d7b1a0e922

I realize you cannot give my any guaranties, the risk is mine to take, but, as an experienced W7 user, can you tell me how probable is, that story of the TntGalloping will repeat itself? Thank you.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I haven't used the commands referred to in that thread. I've just used TakeOwnership.reg to enable the right-click function and then used that. I've messed around with Linux a lot in the past and have moved files back and forth between Windows and Linux. Frequently Windows has complained that files that were stored on a backup drive were inaccessible due to lack of privileges. In this case, Take Ownership has always helped me. However, the problem has never been with the drive itself, only with specific files. I'm not sure Take Ownership would help if the drive itself cannot even be written to.

Can you see the contents of the drive? Can you select individual files and right-click for their properties? Can you copy new files onto the drive?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hello Gluptak! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website! :ciao:

Are you using an external drive that has proprietary software installed on it?

If so, that may be the issue. I have never had a problem such as yours, but I have always used standard hard drives installed in 3rd party external cases. I stay away from external hard drive units sold as one from Western Digital, Iomega, Seagate, etc., too many problems that I've read about.

Ask a Question