64bit pc - 32bit gadget, they're not compatible!!

fdc

Reaction score
Can anybody help me?
I've just bought a new 64 bit laptop (windows 7), & I'm having trouble loading the software from one of my gadgets on to it. So I've just found out that the 'gadget' in question will only run on a 32 bit pc - & not being very techy myself I'm kinda hoping someone out there has any good ideas as to what to do next??
I wouldnt be that bothered, but, the 'gadget' is for my business & has already cost me £3000 - so I really need to resolve this a.s.a.p

H E L P

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm guessing that it's the drivers for this gadget causing the problems. What is it exactly? :)

There may be updated drivers for the hardware if you contact the manufacturer. Otherwise, you may need to install Windows 7 32-bit.

fdc

Reaction score
I own a dental lab, the gadget is a shade-taking device - I realise this proberbly means nothing - but I've had a guy round today from the company I bought it from & all he could tell me was this issue with 64/32 bit stuff.
If I've got a 64 bit PC is it possible to run somehow run this thing on it?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If you have Windows 7 Professional, you can download Windows Virtual PC/XP Mode for free. This would satisfy the 32 bit requirement for running your program. It is a solution targeted at businesses to run their older programs and hardware.

fdc

Reaction score
I only have the Home Premium version, but that does sound interesting, I keep reading stuff about 'dual-boot' - running both 32 & 64 bit on my laptop but it sounds like a load of hassle to be honest, especially for a novice like me! :0)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Dual booting does have a good purpose, it allows you a full install of your OS's, and allows you the full resources (RAM) for your needs. There is a free version of VM Lite that's posted on this forum. Go to the bar on the forum interface (the black one), click "Search", make sure "Threads" are checked. Then type "vm lite" w/o the quotes, it will show you a list of threads. Go to around the 8th one or so, the one you're looking for is titled "XP Mode in Windows 7 w/o Hardware Virtualization". Read the first post carefully, most of your instructions are within it. What you'll have is pre-activated version of XP Pro SP3. You need 3GB RAM for a 64 bit computer, 2GB RAM for a 32 bit one. Of course, a gig more is better. But it will run fine with these specs. Make sure you update XP and install the AV of your choice within it. A separate malware scanner (such as Malwarebytes) would be good, too. It's really more simple than you may think. I felt the same as you at first, but since my first one, I've been hooked on them. You can run older programs/hardware on it just as the real install. Plus, although you can dual boot, you don't have to leave your Windows 7 screen to use VM Lite. In fact, you can use them both at the same time. Check it out for yourself to see if it interests you.

fdc

Reaction score
Wow - thanks for that, but I'm gonna sound like a right idiot now & ask you a couple of questions on how to do it.
Do I download VM lite before XP mode or the other way around??
When you say 'install the AV of your choice', what does that mean exactly?
What'a malware scanner & how do I go about getting one?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm renowned for trying to do stuff on my computer & cocking it all up, so I want to be well prepared for this one!! :0)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Wow - thanks for that, but I'm gonna sound like a right idiot now & ask you a couple of questions on how to do it.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm renowned for trying to do stuff on my computer & cocking it all up, so I want to be well prepared for this one!! :0)
An AV means an Anti Virus program of some kind. There are many free and paid for ones out there but I doubt you would go wrong with the free Microsoft Security Essentials for your Anti Virus.

A Malware Scanner takes care of things that the Anti Virus can miss. The suggested Malwarebytes is a good program (just Google the name) and is easy to use.

fdc

Reaction score
Nice one - thanks. I'm using the free (60 day trial) Norton one at the moment but if the Microsoft one is free then I might switch over. :0)

I think the Norton one covers everything, so will I have to get the malware one alongside the Microsoft one

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score

You can download both VM Lite & XP Mode at the same time. You do have to register for the download, make sure you download VM Lite Workstation. Once both programs are downloaded, you have to first install VM Lite. There will be a few prompts during the install, just click through them. Once VM Lite is installed, you have two options to install XP Mode. You can either burn a disc of it, or the easy way would be to choose the second option, directing VM Lite where the XP Mode download is (of course in your download folder). Click onto your download folder and pick XP Mode. The program will install it from there. Make double sure that you don't delete either of these files as long as you have the program installed. After the install is complete, you update XP, and you're ready to go. One other thing, when you shut down the VM, do so as you would when shutting down the computer. Then after it shuts down, close your VM. If you have anymore questions, post back, I'll do my best to help. One last thing, create a restore point before downloading and installing this (you should always do this when installing any program, for safety reasons).

fdc

Reaction score
Brilliant, it seems to have worked (touch wood), thanks everyone for your help :0), one last thing though - I have Norton security on my laptop, do I need to get separte AV + malware protection for the XP mode?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, but since you're going to be using it on a limited basis, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) would be a good free choice. It gives you "real time" protection. I see no need to pour a lot of cash into something you're using so little. Malwarebytes would also be a good second backup scanner, they have a free one, too. If you have extra Norton licenses, you can use them. But I'm trying to save you money and get you going at the same time. Good luck, and should you need further help, always feel free to post back anytime. It's good to see someone benefiting from my pushing virtualization on here. It really works, and not just a product for the "geeks", as has been suggested on here.

Last edited:

Ask a Question