32bit vs 64bit

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am currently running 32bit on a 3gb RAM system. However I would ideally like to up the RAM to 8gb for graphic design.

I am considering a dual boot using a second hard-drive, but in the event I replace my current 32bit OS with 64bit how common is it for drivers to no longer be compatible?

All the best guys!

Edit: I think I have posted this in the wrong section. If I have I am sorry, and can a Mod move it please. Thanks :)

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Moved it to Installation section.

It is very likely. Sometimes an install package contains both 32 and 64-bit drivers but usually they are separate. It is recommended that you visit the computer manufacturers website for the computer make/model you own and first verify they even have 64-bit drivers. Drivers are no longer being created for many older model computers (even say 6 years old) because the manufacturers want to sell new computers not spend programming time developing drivers for equipment they already sold.

So always check before making such a decision.

In fact do not upgrade to more than 4GB of RAM if your machine cannot function in 64-bit. 32-bit OSes can only reference about 3.25GB of RAM.

Reaction score
n fact do not upgrade to more than 4GB of RAM if your machine cannot function in 64-bit. 32-bit OSes can only reference about 3.25GB of RAM.
That's precisely why I am looking at upgrading to 64bit. I will check with the manufacturer and see.

Ask a Question