4 GB Ram Problem

Reaction score
Hi I have Windows 7 PRO 64 BIT and I must admit it is great but just one problem it work with 2 gb Ram but not with 3 or 4 gb of i.t Every time I install another 2 gb of RAM towaords the 2 gb it already had it won't boot. But soon as I take 2 gb ram out it will work again.

Note: I'am 4X 1GB modules all which are the same:confused:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Coco - Welcome to w7forums

Which computer do you have?

Can you give us a better idea as to what you have? :)

Reaction score
My Computer's specs are

Mercury Elcipse 2000M multi fnuction
J&W JW-RX780X-AM2+ Mobo
AMD Athlon(TM) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
2 GB Ram
Windows 7 Pro
250 GB Hard Disk
NVIDIA Geforce 6600 Graphics Card

Last edited:
Reaction score
J&W JW-RX780X-AM2+ (SC)

4 x 1.8v DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8 GB of system memory
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR2 1066/800/667 MHz memory modules
Support ECC Memory(CPU dependent)
I took a look through the details and didn't see any red flags.

Have you tried switching the memory to see if the second set will boot without the first set?

Reaction score
I just swaped the first set with the second set and the computer boots fine.

Myabie this will help: All the modules are made by Cosair and rated at 1.90V. My pc repairer said the module rated at 1.90V would work no prob.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can you check in the system BIOS and see if you have a setting to raise and lower the voltage of your ram? If I am reading your specs correctly the board maybe set to 1.8V which may not be enough to run all four memory modules. If you have this setting, you can try changing it to 1.9V, if it is not set already.

Reaction score
Sorry I may take a whaile my computers is installing updates.

Reaction score
I'am back the Voltage for DIMM DRAM is set for 1.904 V by defult. I didn't make any changes.

Reaction score
Maybe one of the other guys will have an idea.

That was all I know to suggest. :(
If I come across something else, I will post back

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
When I installed my extra ram I had a similar problem and was able to fix it by clearing the CMOS. What that involves is shutting down your computer, opening it and looking for a battery mounted on the motherboard.

You carefully remove the battery and then replace it. Install all your ram sticks and boot up. Make sure to boot into you BIOS first and check all settings as they will be factory default and you may want to make changes. Finally, boot into windows and see if all the ram is showing.

Since this is a last ditch possible solution and you are playing with the guts of your computer, I cannot stress enough to make sure you are careful in doing this. Make sure you truly power off your box by removing the power cord, press your power on button to drain all electricity, ground yourself by touching a metal part of the tower, pop the battery with a non-conducting item (I used a plastic pen cap), ect

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I had (have) the same problem on a very advanced Laptop I use. (Acer 9813) I finally found that many others had the same problem, but Acer only said it was an incurable chipset problem.
On a memory check, with 4GBs, it fails.
I cannot boot the dual boot with 4Gbs
A bootable DVD (ie. Windows 7 install) works 100% but opens in Basic VGA mode.
My own solution was to downgrade to the 667 memory chip option.

This is just for your information. My motherboard is in no way related to yours - but it worked with me!

Reaction score
I Did this and it now boots alright with 3 GB Ram but not 4 GB.

Ask a Question