Opening Program Problem

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just joined the Windows 7 forum. I had been using XP until roughly 3 weeks ago, when I got a new desktop PC with Windows 7 OS.

I had a problem opening a file, by using the "Open With" program. I used Powerpoint and most of my icons on the desktop turned into icons with the powerpoint logo. Fortunately, I just restored to the way it was, an hour before that, so that I wouldn't lose any files.

I would be very happy if someone could tell me what I did wrong.

Thanks in advance.

m139139

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused as to how this forum or thread works. I'm the one that is having the problem with the "Open With" program on Windows 7.

I'm trying to find out how to mark this "unsolved."

Thanks.

Reaction score
Welcome m139139. give them time. All volunteers here.
Suggest you place your query in the "windows Support Section' as opposed to introductions.
Going into the user control panel and filling out your systems specs also helps the guys know what you've got.

Mike

Reaction score
Hi m139139

Welcome to w7forums

Are all the files on your desktop, Power Point (*.ppt) files?

I don't see how you could have changed file associations for windows links.

P.S.
I moved this thread out of Introductions to Windows 7 Support section.

Reaction score
Thanks for moving the file to the right "category." If I open a file (that looks like blank paper), with .ppt or Windows Picture & Fax, the other icons on the desk top will change to whatever I used to open the one file; i.e. .ppt or Windows Picture & Fax. I don't know why they changed. I would hate to think I have a broken PC. I brought only three weeks ago directly from HP. Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question